Python Support

Sal

Oct 2, 2008, 2:53:40 PM10/2/08
to Google App Engine
Will GAE be supporting Python versions 2.6 and/or 3.0?

Wooble

Oct 2, 2008, 3:06:12 PM10/2/08
to Google App Engine

On Oct 2, 2:53 pm, Sal <fuente...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will GAE be supporting Python versions 2.6 and/or 3.0?

I believe the developers have stated that 3.0 support is unlikely
since it's not backwards-compatible and would break existing code that
works now.

There's been no timeline posted for 2.6 support (or, really, for much
of anything), but personally I'd expect to see it sometime in the
future as I believe it is fully backwards-compatible.

Larry....@googlemail.com

Oct 2, 2008, 5:02:22 PM10/2/08
to Google App Engine
Wouldn't Python 3 support be possible without breaking any code by
simply requiring developers to change their app.yaml to include:

runtime: python3

That, I assume, is the use of the runtime parameter? Python 2.6 will
be good too, but I would especially love to see Python 3 when it's
released. Can anyone from Google give any information about this
please?

kv

Oct 3, 2008, 2:43:56 PM10/3/08
to Google App Engine
On Oct 2, 10:06 pm, Wooble <geoffsp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2:53 pm, Sal <fuente...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Will GAE be supporting Python versions 2.6 and/or 3.0?
>
> There's been no timeline posted for 2.6 support (or, really, for much
> of anything), but personally I'd expect to see it sometime in the
> future as I believe it is fully backwards-compatible.

Star http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=757 if
you're interested in 2.6 support.

warreninaustintexas

Oct 6, 2008, 5:52:37 AM10/6/08
to Google App Engine
Guido van Rossum was asked this question at Google I/O. He stated
that it would be handled as Larry mentions - by calling a separate
runtime. He didn't state a timeframe, though, for it to be available.

On Oct 2, 4:02 pm, "Larry.Ches...@googlemail.com"