GAE - python - standard - out of the box / open source CMS solutions

Jason Whatford

Feb 16, 2017, 5:54:28 PM2/16/17
to Google App Engine
Hi there,

I have a little (Python27, webapp2) app running on the App Engine Standard environment. I would like to add a blog but writing custom code for a blog seems a little wasteful considering there are so many great out of the box solutions. Are there any CMS solutions available that I could simply plug in as a module?

I've had a search on this forum and github but the former has nothing and the latter seem to be filled with inactive projects. Any resources that I (and others that will inevitably have this question) should be made aware of?

Cheers,

Jordan (Cloud Platform Support)

Feb 17, 2017, 10:56:09 AM2/17/17
to Google App Engine
You might want to consider hosting your site on Compute Engine. With Google Compute Engine (GCE), you can quickly deploy a wide range of Content Management System apps via the Cloud Launcher

Alternatively if you want to stay on App Engine, you can follow the CMS guide for deploying WordPress on the App Engine Flexible environment.

Zip Zit

Feb 20, 2017, 12:24:32 PM2/20/17
to Google App Engine
I have to believe one of the static blog tools would work for you, something like this:  https://gohugo.io/ . Easy solution. Safe, secure, no fuss, no mess, no hassle. inexpensive. Less is more.

George Bittmann

Feb 20, 2017, 12:39:43 PM2/20/17
to Google App Engine
If you do try WordPress I would highly recommend that you do it on Flexible as stated by Jordan. WordPress performance on the Standard environment is pretty terrible.

Jason Whatford

Feb 22, 2017, 3:00:16 PM2/22/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Jordan,

Thank you for your response. I do like GAE and the standard environment tbh - hoping that this isn't a signal that it's at risk...

Looks like I'm going to have to either roll my own or figure out how to integrate a static blog as Zip Zit suggests.

Zip Zit thanks for the suggestion of   https://gohugo.io btw - looks cool, though seems to add a lot of clutter in the directory :s Will explore further.

Quite a surprise there isn't a out the box solution for this - I guess it's something to to write to bolster my github profile and earn the internet points...

Jason Whatford

Feb 22, 2017, 3:05:34 PM2/22/17
to Google App Engine
Ah - also   https://gohugo.io is written in Go, not python. But looks like static blog is the way forward