About bc.googleusercontent.com domain

Ken Walker

Aug 5, 2016, 1:24:25 AM8/5/16
to Google App Engine
Hello,

We are receiving many requests to our server from bc.googleusercontent.com and user agent doesn't include APP Engine information so please clear my couple of doubts that as mention like below

1) Is that app engine IP or compute engine IP ?
2) what does "bc" mean in bc.googleusercontent.com ?

Thanks in advance!

Adam (Cloud Platform Support)

Aug 7, 2016, 7:57:23 PM8/7/16
to Google App Engine
Traffic from 'bc.googleusercontent.com' is originating from Compute Engine. The 'bc' subdomain of 'googleusercontent.com' is used for public hostnames of Compute Engine instances which have an external IP address. For example, if an instance has IP of 12.34.56.78, the public hostname would be '78.56.34.12.bc.googleusercontent.com'.

Ken Walker

Aug 8, 2016, 8:12:05 AM8/8/16
to Google App Engine
How many maximum IPs can be assigned to single instance of compute engine since we have been receiving requests from more than 60 such IPs (i.e. bc.googleusercontent.com hosts) and all those requests are from single user.

- Ken

Faizan

Aug 9, 2016, 1:34:51 PM8/9/16
to Google App Engine
Hello Ken,

Each Google Compute Engine VM can have 1 external IP assigned. This IP can be static or ephemeral. As such, if you are receiving requests with different IPs (i.e. x.x.x.x.bc.googleusercontent.com) they will be from different users/location.

You can refer to this link [1] which has more information on networking of GCE instance.

I hope that helps.