20,000% cost increase in July

Viktor Bresan

Jul 29, 2021, 4:46:08 PM7/29/21
to Google App Engine

Hello everyone!

I haven't deployed new versions recently and there is no increase in traffic. But the billing is showing 20,000% cost increase starting from July.

I have contacted the support and they didn't have a clue why it happened. My request was forwarded to technical support a week ago and I haven't received any news regarding this.

It looks like I am not the only one who is reporting the sudden inexplicable cost increase recently.

Any tips or advice?

jhf555

Aug 3, 2021, 5:47:28 PM8/3/21
to Google App Engine
Something similar happened to me.  Huge cost increase in mid-June with no new instances deployed and no traffic increase that I can see.  The Billing console shows it as a huge increase in "Frontend Instances".  I have been emailing with support a little bit and they told me there was a big "traffic increase" and that auto-scaling is turning on more instances.  I am trying to figure out from them where they saw this traffic increase because I certainly can't find it (Google Analytics data shows no increase).  I suspect something buggy, or an automatic change in behavior (e.g. some setting).

Viktor Bresan

Aug 9, 2021, 4:34:34 AM8/9/21
to Google App Engine
Guys from Google claimed that they didn't change anything. I suspect the scheduling algorithm that launches additional instances has changed. For me the solution was (it was their recommendation) to limit the maximum number of instances and maximum number of idle instances to 1.

Tapir

Sep 2, 2021, 10:49:44 AM9/2/21
to Google App Engine
The same for me. 10x more cost increase in Judy and August.

Viktor Bresan

Sep 11, 2021, 5:18:56 AM9/11/21
to Google App Engine
My answer here includes details how to limit the number of instances:

Joshua Turmel

Oct 14, 2021, 11:19:54 AM10/14/21
to Google App Engine
Thanks Viktor. It's a shame that there's been no real progress/reason given on why this has happened.