New migration resource

77 показвания
Преминаване към първото непрочетено съобщение

Charlie Engelke

непрочетено,
12.03.2021 г., 14:41:1712.03.21 г.
до Google App Engine
Hi, everyone, I'm an Developer Programs Engineer for App Engine.

There are still many Python 2.7 applications on App Engine, even though the Python Software Foundation sunset it over a year ago. For many people that's not due to the language differences in Python 3, but rather to changes in the App Engine runtime for the different language versions. I'm one of the people trying to help developers make that move.

We provide migration resources such as sample apps and documentation on our website, but those of you who have already made the move, or are working on doing so now, likely have some great material that others could use. We'd like to make it easy for you to share that with the App Engine community.

There is a new GitHub repository at  https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/appengine-python2-3-migration. We've seeded it with a couple of examples of migrated apps, but we need your feedback and contributions. If this subject is relevant to you, please take a look and submit issues and pull requests to make the repository better. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Charlie

NoCommandLine

непрочетено,
15.03.2021 г., 12:53:4415.03.21 г.
до Google App Engine
Hi,

This is a good idea and will be a great resource if it ends up containing real-life/realistic examples.

I think an example (from Google) containing a move for an App which was using 'memcache' and/or 'User' service would be great.

..... NoCommandLine ......
If you miss GAE Launcher, try https://nocommandline.com

Charlie Engelke

непрочетено,
15.03.2021 г., 13:21:3315.03.21 г.
до google-a...@googlegroups.com
Well... there is no straightforward path for either of them, because the new runtime doesn't have close equivalents. At least, not now.

But https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/python-docs-samples/tree/master/appengine/standard/migration/memorystore has an example of using memorystore instead of memcache. It's not as easy or as inexpensive, though.

Identity-Aware Proxy is a different way to manage user access than via the user API, but it's easy and powerful. Here's a blog post - https://cloud.google.com/blog/topics/developers-practitioners/control-access-your-web-sites-identity-aware-proxy - which also links to a video with examples of how to configure and use it. A detailed codelab is also available - https://codelabs.developers.google.com/codelabs/user-auth-with-iap#0 .

I can add either or both of the above to this repo, or pointers. I'm looking for community feedback before doing that, however.

Thanks,

Charlie

Charles Engelke
GCP AppDev DPE

NoCommandLine

непрочетено,
15.03.2021 г., 13:49:4915.03.21 г.
до Google App Engine
>>> Well... there is no straightforward path for either of them, because the new runtime doesn't have close equivalents. At least, not now. <<<

Exactly my point. And that is a big barrier for folks who would like to migrate (at least from reading this forum and Stackoverflow). Having an example which shows a migrated App with these non-equivalent/non-similar services (or Google's recommended replacement) and explaining exactly how to use them and why it was used, would be good.

Shawn Wu

непрочетено,
16.03.2021 г., 16:14:0916.03.21 г.
до Google App Engine

App Engine Memorystore for Redis Sample at https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/python-docs-samples/tree/master/appengine/standard/migration/memorystore provided the example how to replace  the Memcache API with the Memorystore for Redis. you can refer to this doc for more details.

Daniel Young

непрочетено,
24.03.2021 г., 18:11:1924.03.21 г.
до Google App Engine
I think these are great resources, it's amusing that I started from gen 1 where I had to do caching by hand, to gen 2 where it was automatic in ndb (worked great), back to having to do it by hand again with an external paid tool.
Отговор до всички
Отговор до автора
Препращане
0 нови съобщения