New Runtime Language Announced!

Jeff S

Apr 1, 2009, 5:35:06 PM4/1/09
to Google App Engine
Hi all,

I'm pleased as punch to share with you the details on the new runtime
language available for App Engine. We announced it on our blog:

http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/brand-new-language-on-google-app-engine.html

From the blog post:

"""
It's been almost a year since we've launched App Engine with support
for Python, and what a year it's been! We've gotten fantastic feedback
from developers, and we've released loads of new features! When we
launched, we promised support for another runtime language, and indeed
this has been among the most requested features from our developers
since day one.

Well, we fed Google's new CADIE Strategic Decision Maker the App
Engine issue tracker, our groups, and various blog posts around the
internet to help select a new runtime language for App Engine. Today
we're excited to officially announce support for FORTRAN 77!

If you're an enterprise customer and want to take advantage of Google
App Engine, but have a large and cumbersome legacy system, we want to
make it easy for you to port to the cloud. By providing a Fortran 77
runtime, along with a familiar, easy-to-use deployment mechanism, we
hope to make this process efficient and straightforward.

Want to give it a try? Download our SDK and deploy your application by
mailing punch cards to:

Google App Engine, C/O APPCFG
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy
Mountain View, CA 94043

and we'll take care of the rest! We welcome your feedback on our
newest addition to the App Engine family--you can discuss it on our
Google Group!
"""

So there you have it, let's discuss!

David Wilson

Apr 1, 2009, 5:42:47 PM4/1/09
to Google App Engine

finally!! my life is complete >_<

On Apr 1, 2:35 pm, Jeff S <j...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm pleased as punch to share with you the details on the new runtime
> language available for App Engine. We announced it on our blog:
>
> http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/brand-new-language-on-goo...

Ozgur Cem S.

Apr 1, 2009, 6:08:52 PM4/1/09
to Google App Engine
Dreams come true...

That news should trend on Twitter non-stop at least for a month...
LOL..

yaph

Apr 1, 2009, 5:59:43 PM4/1/09
to Google App Engine
Looking forward to deploy some of my legacy apps :-D

On Apr 1, 11:35 pm, Jeff S <j...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm pleased as punch to share with you the details on the new runtime
> language available for App Engine. We announced it on our blog:
>
> http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/brand-new-language-on-goo...

Jason

Apr 1, 2009, 6:29:46 PM4/1/09
to Google App Engine
Good joke, but truth is that this would actually help tremendously.
Why? The linear algebra libraries (e.g. the ones numpy calls) are in
FORTRAN, and Python is too slow to do anything numerical without
them. Including numpy (or even fortran) would actually create a lot
of new use cases for App Engine.

On Apr 1, 2:35 pm, Jeff S <j...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm pleased as punch to share with you the details on the new runtime
> language available for App Engine. We announced it on our blog:
>
> http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/brand-new-language-on-goo...

peterk

Apr 1, 2009, 6:44:45 PM4/1/09
to Google App Engine
You know, you're probably going to REALLY get some punch card apps
mailed to you now :p

Ozgur Cem S.

Apr 1, 2009, 7:18:44 PM4/1/09
to Google App Engine
Yeah, they'll put them in a punch bag and punch them for during lunch
hours. good workout : ))

Amr Ellafi

Apr 1, 2009, 7:31:10 PM4/1/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I have deployed a sample Fortune to my app on http://atari.appspot.com
but unfortunately not working , i do not even see a debug message ,
any clue ? do i have to reconfigure my app from the admin console ?

LH.

Apr 1, 2009, 9:30:23 PM4/1/09
to Google App Engine
Great! So issues 190 and 567 are now trivial, and will be taken care
of soon?

(No, I didn't fall for it. But I'm choosing to assume the team picked
this joke in full knowledge that there are at least 2 outstanding
issues that amount to something very much like this....)

On Apr 1, 5:35 pm, Jeff S <j...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm pleased as punch to share with you the details on the new runtime
> language available for App Engine. We announced it on our blog:
>
> http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/brand-new-language-on-goo...

surftheair

Apr 2, 2009, 3:27:26 AM4/2/09
to Google App Engine
Hi! I managed to deployed an app using FORTRAN 77 on GAE, take a look:
http://micro-jude.appspot.com

roschler

Apr 2, 2009, 6:44:38 AM4/2/09
to Google App Engine
Dear Mr. Googles,

Iz E-mailed youse my pungecardsz a week agos n Iz stilz wayting four
my chezburgers!

Sinceerlyz,
"Kitty"

P.S. (Pawscript) - I'm ins ur cloudz eating ur dataz!

On Apr 1, 5:35 pm, Jeff S <j...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm pleased as punch to share with you the details on the new runtime
> language available for App Engine. We announced it on our blog:
>
> http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/brand-new-language-on-goo...

Takashi Matsuo

Apr 2, 2009, 9:20:27 AM4/2/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

Fantastic!

I've build my first app on Fortran77 GAE.
This is my first program on F77, so I'm not sure if it works.

Could anyone give me some advices?

My first app:
http://sl.shehas.net/dkpjt

-- Takashi Matsuo

surftheair

Apr 2, 2009, 10:33:31 AM4/2/09
to Google App Engine
Wow! It's an engine!

On Apr 2, 9:20 pm, Takashi Matsuo <matsuo.taka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Fantastic!
>
> I've build my first app on Fortran77 GAE.
> This is my first program on F77, so I'm not sure if it works.
>
> Could anyone give me some advices?
>
> My first app:http://sl.shehas.net/dkpjt
>
> -- Takashi Matsuo
>

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Jeff S <j...@google.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > I'm pleased as punch to share with you the details on the new runtime
> > language available for App Engine. We announced it on our blog:
>
> >http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/brand-new-language-on-goo...

Ezu

Apr 2, 2009, 9:21:54 AM4/2/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
LOL

Dave

Apr 3, 2009, 12:17:54 PM4/3/09
to Google App Engine
How could you possible choose FORTRAN77? This is sad day for
AppEngine.

My God, couldn't you see that the obvious choice - the ONLY SANE
CHOICE - for the new runtime language is <a href="http://www.eweek.com/
c/a/Application-Development/Is-COBOL-the-18Wheeler-of-the-Web/">The 18
Wheeler of the Web</a>!!

That's right buddy, the language that used to cut your paycheck:
COBOL.

Dave