App engine with fastly(CDN)

Nikitha Kamath

Sep 4, 2018, 4:37:18 PM9/4/18
to Google App Engine
Hi,

An app engine(standard environment) instance is running and mapped to custom domain with google managed certificates. Is there any reference materials to integrate fastly(CDN) for app engine?

Thank you.

David (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 6, 2018, 5:29:24 PM9/6/18
to Google App Engine

Hello Nikitha,

Google Cloud CDN can only store and deliver content from Compute Engine or Cloud Storage, in theory, it might be possible to use it with App Engine but there is no need to since App Engine essentially has a CDN native to its ecosystem and you could also use Google Cloud Storage to host static assets for dynamic web apps. Please review this document about serving static files in App Engine which will give you a better understanding.

In addition, I would like to let you know that during my research, I was not able to find any step by step guide on how to integrate Cloud CDN with Google App Engine. However, I already informed the appropriate team to improve our documentation about this.

Nikitha Kamath

Sep 7, 2018, 12:02:44 PM9/7/18
to Google App Engine
Looks like Cloud CDN cannot be integrated with App engine. But is it possible to integrate fastly CDN?

David (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 7, 2018, 4:52:18 PM9/7/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

As stated in Serving from a third party CDN, you can use any external third-party CDN to serve your static files and cache dynamic requests but for improved performance, it is recommended to use one that supports CDN Interconnect and fastly is one of them. There is no step by step guide on how to do this, but please review this page and watch this webinar that talks about Migrating to GCP family with fastly. In addition, please review these Stack Overflow and Google Groups threads, where you will find information from others who have successfully integrated fastly with App Engine Flexible, even though you are not in the Flexible environment, it will give you an idea of how to accomplish this in the Standard environment.

Nikitha Kamath

Sep 12, 2018, 12:30:26 PM9/12/18
to Google App Engine
Ok. Thank you.