Slow Uploads - It's killing me and my app

Kaan Soral

Feb 20, 2015, 11:01:39 AM2/20/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
It's killing me, as I have no idea why, It's also the most black-box system of App Engine, I have no control over uploads

A 470kb upload completes in ~10 seconds, a 1.5MB upload sometimes takes around 7 minutes, and sometimes it fails, sometimes it works just expected (It gets stuck around 80% sometimes, then continues or fails after a long while)

Somewhere along the line, there is an edge, above that something delays the upload significantly

It's also not consistent, however I experience it a lot myself

Any ideas? How should I approach to solve this issue, It might as well be related to my own network, ISP, however I don't think so

Anyone else experiencing similar issues with blobstore_handlers.BlobstoreUploadHandler?

PK

Feb 20, 2015, 11:17:43 AM2/20/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Uploads have been inconsistent and occasionally slow in the past but have been stable for me lately. Turning off the precompilation step in Python has alleviated the issue.

Kaan Soral

Feb 20, 2015, 11:41:29 AM2/20/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
That's very interesting, sometimes such changes leave false impressions, as the app, maybe even by chance, get a better datacenter/section after a deployment (this was my impression previously, while I was testing another issue)

Shouldn't pre-compilation improve performance instead? (or leave it unchanged)

I've never tested disabling pre-compilation yet, honestly

Joshua Smith

Feb 20, 2015, 11:57:09 AM2/20/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
You guys are talking about different things.

One of you is talking about the time it takes to update the app version (turning off precomp helps)

The other is talking about the time it takes to upload files into a running app (precomp is irrelevant because it’s probably a temporary glitch in google’s infrastructure)

PK

Feb 20, 2015, 2:14:08 PM2/20/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Joshua, not sure how one tells the difference of what you call different things. I always update files and occasionally this does includes a new version number.

Kaan, frankly the times I had to turn off pre compilation nobody noticed any performance difference. I assume that pre compilation makes the first invocation faster but after the warmup it is all the same. I would love to hear/read more details on how exactly this works, especially whether it affects what happens when new instances become live or the app has to move to a different cluster. But in any case, the performance implications are probably the same in all these cases.

Joshua Smith

Feb 20, 2015, 2:32:22 PM2/20/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
He mentioned blobstore. I think he’s talking about uploads to his app, like from a form. Not uploading code.

PK

Feb 20, 2015, 2:37:49 PM2/20/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
On second reading Joshua is of course right, please ignore my input.

Kaan Soral

Feb 22, 2015, 3:47:04 PM2/22/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
From custom/high level logs, I see that some other users experience upload issues too

Yet the issue also seems local

When I start a 1.5mb upload, chrome gets stuck at 12%, the upload jumps to 79% instantly from that point (obviously a glitch) - and then, unless I restart Chrome, I can't reach my app/website

Very very absurd, it's likely not a network issue, as I can connect from another machine on the same network

Which leaves the possibility of this issue being an absurd chrome bug, failing the upload and blocking access to the website after that point, no matter whether I open a new tab etc. I can't reach the website after the upload fails ...

----

Actually, after 5 minutes, the upload completed and access was restored, could AppEngine be forcing the browser to only connect from a single connection, therefore blocking simultaneous access?

(The upload should also complete in 15 seconds, 5 minutes is absurd)