Go 1.11: what is the recommended way to include env_variables in app.yaml?

Jonathan Ingram

Nov 11, 2018, 5:28:46 PM11/11/18
to google-appengine-go
Prior to Go 1.11 I would include environment specific env vars in my app.yaml like this:

includes:
  - ../env/env.yaml

It allowed me to deploy to different environments (staging, prod) and also for different tenants.

With Go 1.11, includes has been removed and is not supported anymore.

Is the recommended way to just have an app.yaml for each environment/tenant combination? In this way, if I have, say, 10 handlers that are shared across my app, will I just have to duplicate them?

Alternatively, do I have to do some templating in my CI flow and dynamically generate each app.yaml?

Steren Giannini

Nov 11, 2018, 5:37:08 PM11/11/18
to jonathan...@gmail.com, google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan,

Let me ask internally why includes has been removed from the new runtimes. Your use case seems quite relevant to me.

Steren
Product Manager

benjam...@paymentsense.com

Apr 23, 2019, 1:59:39 PM4/23/19
to google-appengine-go
Hi Steren,

Where you able to find out why it's been removed? We're looking at a similar multi-environment deployment.

Thanks,

Ben

On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 2:28 PM Jonathan Ingram <jonatha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Prior to Go 1.11 I would include environment specific env vars in my app.yaml like this:

includes:
  - ../env/env.yaml

It allowed me to deploy to different environments (staging, prod) and also for different tenants.

With Go 1.11, includes has been removed and is not supported anymore.

Is the recommended way to just have an app.yaml for each environment/tenant combination? In this way, if I have, say, 10 handlers that are shared across my app, will I just have to duplicate them?

Alternatively, do I have to do some templating in my CI flow and dynamically generate each app.yaml?

This message may contain information from Paymentsense Ltd which is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately by reply email and delete this message and any attachments without retaining a copy. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority.

daniel fischer

May 23, 2019, 12:08:02 PM5/23/19
to google-appengine-go
You can solve this using Cloud Build and before running the deploy command copy over a file from block storage or decrypt a key from google kms.