Re: [go-nuts] Migrating Google App Engine Go app to Go 1.12

Matthew Zimmerman

Sep 30, 2019, 6:34:31 AM9/30/19
to Jan Mercl, golang-nuts, google-appengine-go
My notice said that apps continue to run, you just can't deploy new versions.

"Starting on October 1, 2019, as per our deprecation policy, you will no longer be able to deploy new versions of App Engine Standard applications that use Go 1.9 and earlier. However, applications that have already been deployed will continue to run."

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019, 5:33 AM Jan Mercl <0xj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi list.

The modernc.org domain go-get redirector is hosted at the Google App
Engine and provides access to all packages found at this time at
https://gitlab.com/cznic. Go code for the redirector iself is
published at https://gitlab.com/cznic/modernc. The instance dashboard
shows a warning: "A version of your app is using a deprecated version
of Go. Please upgrade before October 1, 2019. Learn more". The "Learn
more" links here:
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/go112/go-differences?hl=en_US&_ga=2.244421253.-1415549777.1569833277

I'm pretty lost after reading the docs. It's not just about changing
`runtime: go` to `runtime: go112` in the `app.yaml` file.

As I'm using the deprecated `appengine` package
(https://gitlab.com/cznic/modernc/blob/ed5d04d89c1e4c74a2742191d62d89437a534b42/main.go#L21),
I should migrate to the Google Cloud client library. The docs link
here: https://github.com/googleapis/google-api-go-client. However,
looking at the godocs here
https://godoc.org/google.golang.org/api/appengine/v1, I cannot see any
`Main` API call to replace the call at `main:21`.

The redirector has 10K+ requests daily and I need to do the upgrade today.

Please help me, thanks in advance.

Jan Mercl

Sep 30, 2019, 6:39:34 AM9/30/19
to Matthew Zimmerman, golang-nuts, google-appengine-go
On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 12:34 PM Matthew Zimmerman <mzimm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My notice said that apps continue to run, you just can't deploy new versions.
>
> "Starting on October 1, 2019, as per our deprecation policy, you will no longer be able to deploy new versions of App Engine Standard applications that use Go 1.9 and earlier. However, applications that have already been deployed will continue to run."

Thanks for the update! Somehow I cannot find that email, but I recall
receiving it some weeks ago.

I've already unfortunately disrupted the service for about 15 minutes.
It's now restored. Further brief dropouts are possible. Apologies to
anyone affected.