Google Play API for "What's New" content

Pallieter Koopmans

Mar 10, 2016, 7:04:31 AM3/10/16
to Google APIs Discovery Service Users
I would like to see if there is a better (API) way to get the "What's New" content from all "My Apps" into a feed. I'm using auto-update, but I'dd like to keep track of new features and functionality to see what's new with the apps I am using on Android.

Will the app update texts become available via a Google Play API? If not, I plan to scrape them into an RSS feed, but that is not an easy thing to do. I can get a listing of all my apps via https://play.google.com/apps, but those "What's New" text are not available via the web.

There is an app that can do this on the device itself: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.warting.whatsnew - so that shows the information is already grammatically available. Possibly I can make an app that periodically pushes this local content to the web. ANd if more users are using this, we can keep track of the "What's New" history per app.

https://play.google.com/store/people/details?id=102074004380852879989 hints that there is a wish to allow users to share what apps they use (publicly) as part of their Google+ profile.

The way that publishers can update it is described here: https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/189724

I can imagine there are many other use cases for a Google Play API, like for researchers that want to install apps on a device.