Google Analytics vistors with javascript disabled

Camilo de Barros

Oct 9, 2015, 3:49:41 AM10/9/15
to google-analytics-measurement-protocol
Hi

Is it possible, and if so how do I do it, to get information in Google Analytics regarding  visitors who DO NOT have javascript enabled?

Thank you

Philip Walton

Oct 9, 2015, 1:38:50 PM10/9/15
to Camilo de Barros, google-analytics-measurement-protocol
You can do it, you just won't be able to get that much information about them.

The trick is to use a <noscript> tag, and put an image request to the Measurement Protocol inside that tag. Here's an example:

<!-- Google Analytics -->
<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-XXXXX-Y', 'auto');
ga('send', 'pageview');
</script>
<!-- End Google Analytics -->

<!-- JavaScript disabled fallback -->
<noscript>
</noscript>
<!-- End JavaScript disabled fallback -->

You can look at the hit I've used in the Hit Builder tool. As you can see I've set the &dl and &dt parameters, so you'd have to have the ability to set those programmatically on all of your pages.

I hope that helps.

Camilo de Barros

Oct 9, 2015, 2:27:29 PM10/9/15
to google-analytics-measurement-protocol, burr...@gmail.com
Hi Thanks

I'm not very good with scripts...

I take it, all I have to do is to add this bit below what I already have in the pages, right?

Philip Walton