Refund (wrapped in event hit type) generates a new session?

Alejandro Iruleguy

May 14, 2015, 9:10:59 AM5/14/15
to google-analytics-m...@googlegroups.com, Fernando Guerra
Hello folks,

While testing refund hits via Measurement Protocol we have come to find that, even if we send the hits with the Non Interactive parameter active (ni=1), a new session is generated for the refund data. Screenshot attached.

We would like to track refunds in an offline mode (we have offline payment options, for instance) because the refund is not always triggered by a user browsing our marketplace. Could be timeout, could be cancellation outside of user-session duration.

Is there a way to send refund hits via measurement protocol without generating a new session to contain them?

Cheers!
Captura de pantalla 2015-05-14 a las 10.09.33.png

Andy Ankrah

May 16, 2015, 5:10:52 PM5/16/15
to google-analytics-m...@googlegroups.com, fernand...@mercadolibre.com
My understanding is that the non-interaction parameter simply tells Google not to include the hit in bounce rate calculations (and can only be applied to event hits as far as I'm aware). The hit will always start a new session, there's no way around that. It's an inherent limitation of the Measurement Protocol - but I'd love to be proved wrong!

Tom Capper

Sep 8, 2015, 10:11:31 AM9/8/15
to google-analytics-measurement-protocol, fernand...@mercadolibre.com
Hi Alejandro,

I was wondering whether you ever found a workaround for this? It seems like a really big shortcoming of measurement protocol.

Tom

Alejandro Iruleguy

Sep 8, 2015, 10:14:35 AM9/8/15
to Tom Capper, google-analytics-measurement-protocol, fernand...@mercadolibre.com
Not really, unfortunately. We decided to upload refunds through the Data Import feature, which does not generate any session whatsoever, but we are aware that this is not the ideal solution.
Best,

London office: 020 7183 0767

Check out our client case studies.

Registered in England and Wales (Number: 5403386), 18-20 Crucifix Lane, London, SE1 3JW