Basic tracking not working.

devel...@stackadvisors.com

Nov 16, 2015, 12:43:46 PM11/16/15
to google-analytics-measurement-protocol
So I've scoured the internet for a solution to my problem but I can't find much because it's just not working.

I'm trying to send basic page view hits to my Property but I'm receiving no hits.

My dashboard says no events or users or anything.  It also says the tracking has not been set up on
a website which it hasn't but I'm wondering if that's why hits will not come in. The TID is correct.  The
website name is just data that doesn't necessarily need to be an actual homepage, or does it need to be accurate?
I figure the Tracking ID is the only piece of information that needs to correspond to my Property.  Any ideas?

Philip Walton

Nov 16, 2015, 1:42:25 PM11/16/15
to devel...@stackadvisors.com, google-analytics-measurement-protocol
When did you create this property? If it was less than 24-hours ago, it make take up to 24 hours for you to see new hits come in.

devel...@stackadvisors.com

Philip Walton

Taylor Deiaco

Nov 18, 2015, 12:10:19 PM11/18/15
to google-analytics-measurement-protocol, devel...@stackadvisors.com
Hey all,

I've changed emails but I'm the original poster.

I've gotten sending hits to work, but validating is giving me error messages when it shouldn't.

The JSON response that GA sends back after a validation hit, is this:

[code]
{
  "hitParsingResult": [ {
    "valid": false,
    "parserMessage": [ {
      "messageType": "ERROR",
      "description": "A value is required for parameter 'v'. Please see http://goo.gl/a8d4RP#v for details.",
      "messageCode": "VALUE_REQUIRED",
      "parameter": "v"
    } ],
    "hit": "/debug/collect"
  } ],
  "parserMessage": [ {
    "messageType": "INFO",
    "description": "Found 1 hit in the request."
  } ]
}
[/code]

Yet here is the HTTP request payload (captured with a real time HTTP capture software so I know it's what is being sent out) with the parameter 'v' clearly defined:

f=hello&v=1&tid=UA-68709289-1&cid=c7f6095d-c5b5-4976-b3ca-d1efe433db1b&t=event&ec=StackAdvisorsApplicationTest&ea=TestEvent&el=TestEventHit&ev=300

Notice the f=hello as the beginning.  With or without that "f=hello" I get the same result: 'v' is not defined.  It should be giving me an error for 'f' not being a parameter, not 'v' not being defined.

Long story short, I've been sending valid GA hits, and GA is recognizing them, and when I put in the exact same GA hit to validate, it gives me the " 'v' is not defined" error.

Why does it keep sending this error when I've clearly defined 'v' and when the hits are clearly getting to GA?

On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 12:17:55 PM UTC-7, Philip Walton wrote:
[...]

Philip Walton

Nov 18, 2015, 12:32:08 PM11/18/15
to Taylor Deiaco, google-analytics-measurement-protocol, devel...@stackadvisors.com