Measurement Protocol events source is (Not Set)

Jeremiah LaBresh

Oct 20, 2015, 5:14:19 PM10/20/15
to google-analytics-measurement-protocol

with the following payload: (items in [ ] are strings)

v=1
tid=[account id]
cid=733e2360fc01467f1d0231f83303cb97
uid=[uid]
t=event
ec=[category]
ea=[action]
el=[label]
ev=1
ua=Mozilla%2F5.0+%28Macintosh%3B+Intel+Mac+OS+X+10_10_5%29+AppleWebKit%2F537.36+%28KHTML%2C+like+Gecko%29+Chrome%2F46.0.2490.71+Safari%2F537.36
dr=[domain name]%2Flogin
uip=[ip address]
ni=0
ds=AMP
dl=[domain name]%2Fsessions
dh=[domain name]
dp=%2Fsessions
z=199340450577

Users goes from a login page, to a sessions page where it logs them in and sends this event via MP.

The data is getting sent to google just fine, but the landing page is not being set, which seems to cause the event to drop off the users path. It seems to also be increasing our unique visitors count.

Also the landing page should be /sessions, but sometimes it is / and sometimes it is /login. I can't reproduce this in any of our lower environments, but it seems to happen in productions.

Any tips on what I should and should not be sending are appreciated.

Thanks.

Philip Walton

Oct 20, 2015, 8:55:20 PM10/20/15
to Jeremiah LaBresh, google-analytics-measurement-protocol
The landing page is the first page in a session, so if "/login" is not showing up as the landing page AND your unique visitor count is increasing, that sounds a awful lot like you're starting a new session somehow.

Can you confirm that you're using the same client ID for the same user on both "/login" and "/sessions"? Also, I see you're using the "uid" parameter. I assume you've enabled user ID in the view admin? It's possible you're doing something wrong with that that's causing consecutive pageviews to not be associated with the same user/session.

Jeremiah LaBresh

Oct 21, 2015, 9:59:38 AM10/21/15
to google-analytics-measurement-protocol, jlab...@gmail.com
Thanks for the reply Phillip,
 First page is /login, the actual page that does the validation and sends the event is /sessions.

When a user comes to our site, we set a session id, we are using this session id as the cid. I wonder if that is being disconnected. I will look into that.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

-J-
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-analytics-measurement-protocol+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.