tracking app version number with measurement protocol

ma...@bedrock.tv

Jul 1, 2015, 4:05:43 AM7/1/15
to google-analytics-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm using the measurement protocol for tracking on Smart TV apps, and I want to add tracking for "device model" and "app version".

I looked into using "screenview" tracking instead of "pageview" as that supports the application version ("&av") parameter but I couldn't find a way to also send a device model string.  Is that possible?

If not, should I use custom dimensions?  I've set up dimensions for "version" and "device" in the dashboard and set the scope to "hit".  If I also want to track those dimensions for eCommerce transactions, do I also need to set up custom metrics for the same names and set a new scope?

David Vallejo

Jul 16, 2015, 4:43:21 PM7/16/15
to google-analytics-m...@googlegroups.com
I bet device model is taken from the User Agent, you override it using the "ua" parameters, or faking your request's user-agent header. In any case you'll need GA to recognize those user-agent string, so may you better for with a Custom Dimension.

David

Philip Walton

Jul 16, 2015, 5:51:58 PM7/16/15
to David Vallejo, google-analytics-m...@googlegroups.com
I agree with David. I recommend using a custom dimension for model and version. If you've set them to hit level, your ecommerce hits will have them as well.

bedrocktv

Jul 17, 2015, 3:14:24 AM7/17/15
to google-analytics-m...@googlegroups.com, thyn...@gmail.com
Thank you both

I ended up implementing it using Custom Dimensions and it works fine.  Some TV manufacturers and models have API calls that reveal exact model code, firmware etc. so that was a better fit than using the user-agent.