GTM parameter in google analytics collect URL?

BadriNarayanan Srinivasan

Nov 20, 2014, 6:23:08 AM11/20/14
to google-analyti...@googlegroups.com
Hey Everyone -

I was exploring Google Analytics collect url in the network tab of developer console and I noticed two things in the URL

1. google-analytics.com/r/collect? - Does anyone know what '/r/' means here?
2. I also noticed google-analytics.com/r/collect?.....&gtm=GTM-12345  - Does anyone know why gtm supplied as a parameter in the collect URL?

Thanks for your help!
Badri

cbarring...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2015, 7:33:01 AM3/25/15
to google-analyti...@googlegroups.com
Did you find an answer for this? I think this is cauing issues on my site

BadriNarayanan Srinivasan

Mar 26, 2015, 6:16:08 AM3/26/15
to cbarring...@gmail.com, google-analyti...@googlegroups.com

Nope not yet, but I’ve heard that few containers goes through ‘simulator / experiment’ environment randomly which is what /r/ in this case. But there is no information regarding how it affects the numbers in the site.

Cheers,
Badri

------------------------------------

BADRINARAYANAN SRINIVASAN  » Analytics Consultant, Web Analytics & CRO

iProspect ®
London Office: 5th Floor, 10 Triton Street, London, NW1 3BF

cid:image001.png@01CFAB15.9FD17140

cid:image002.png@01CFAB15.9FD17140

cid:image003.png@01CFAB15.9FD17140   cid:image004.png@01CFAB15.9FD17140   cid:image005.png@01CFAB15.9FD17140   cid:image006.png@01CFAB15.9FD17140   cid:image007.png@01CFAB15.9FD17140

The content of this email and any attachments are private and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient(s) or have otherwise received this email in error, please delete the email and inform the sender as soon as possible. This email may not be disclosed, used or copied by anyone other than the intended recipient(s). Any opinions, statements or comments contained in this email are not necessarily those of Dentsu Aegis Network Ltd . If you wish clarification of any matter, please request confirmation in writing.

We take precautions to minimise the risk of this email containing a software virus but you should use virus checking software.

iProspect, a trading division of Dentsu Aegis Network Ltd, registered in England and Wales No.1939690 Registered office: 10 Triton Street, Regents Place, London, NW1 3BF

Samy

Mar 26, 2015, 4:55:29 PM3/26/15
to BadriNarayanan Srinivasan, cbarring...@gmail.com, google-analyti...@googlegroups.com
If it helps:

I notice that there's an extra variable(utmredir=1) in the call also along with the "/r/".
This in my case takes place when it's a new user, visitor cookies are written.
So, I delete my cookies and visit the site, only the first call has "/r/"
 with utmredir=1

Thanks
Sam

Avi Mehta

Mar 26, 2015, 5:10:54 PM3/26/15
to Samy, BadriNarayanan Srinivasan, cbarring...@gmail.com, google-analyti...@googlegroups.com
/r, _r and utmredir are parameters/artifacts of http://analytics.blogspot.com/2015/01/start-remarketing-with-google-analytics.html. No functionality should change because of these. If you are seeing something wrong, Please email me with the page link and your property number.

Note that if you use Instant Activation, /r/collect url will redirect you to doubleclick. If you have not opted in, there should be no redirects.

gtm parameter is sent when you are using gtm to setup GA. there should be no functional changes because of this. If you see something wrong, let me know.

BadriNarayanan Srinivasan

Mar 30, 2015, 8:42:14 AM3/30/15
to Avi Mehta, Samy, cbarring...@gmail.com, google-analyti...@googlegroups.com

Hi Avi -

Thanks for the information.

However, couple of my clients have GTM but I don’t see UTM parameter in collect post URL similarly I’ve enabled doubleclick instant activation through UI as well but I don’t see /r in collect URL.

I’ve tested it for morethan 13 websites but the behaviour is really random.

Can you please provide some more context?

Thanks,
Badri

------------------------------------

BADRINARAYANAN SRINIVASAN  » Analytics Consultant, Web Analytics & CRO

iProspect ®
London Office: 5th Floor, 10 Triton Street, London, NW1 3BF

cid:image001.png@01CFAB15.9FD17140

cid:image002.png@01CFAB15.9FD17140

cid:image003.png@01CFAB15.9FD17140   cid:image004.png@01CFAB15.9FD17140   cid:image005.png@01CFAB15.9FD17140   cid:image006.png@01CFAB15.9FD17140   cid:image007.png@01CFAB15.9FD17140
4B7D4F7F-2054-4BD1-9199-0564C2498FC9[2].png
B337C022-3422-4399-A17C-C1E1422D43D7[2].png
C93752AC-EE22-463E-B35C-C044B9E3F09A[2].png
AF9ACE0F-C902-4186-98FF-A0FAC3B6EDF6[2].png
F5BFD620-65E3-4D89-A1C6-B9D2FAF76111[2].png
C3F8FA55-757B-4E58-9669-5D1BCDEBB22D[2].png
C21946BB-8958-4800-BB3D-8A2B560878FE[2].png

Avi Mehta

Mar 30, 2015, 3:26:09 PM3/30/15
to BadriNarayanan Srinivasan, Samy, cbarring...@gmail.com, google-analyti...@googlegroups.com
It is a little complicated. More details below:

Instant Activation without GTM: One hit every few mins is sent to /r/collect (and then a redirect to doubleclick). We write a short-lived constant value cookie to track if we sent a hit to that url in last few mins. Only hits that are sent to /r/collect get redirected.

Instant Activation with display features toggle switched off in GTM: Same a above.

No Instant Activation with display features toggle switched on in GTM: No hits are sent to /r/collect. Instead, the gtm code directly sends separate hits to ga.com and to doubleclick.net

No Instant Activation with legacy display features plugin: Same as the third case above.