is this api going to be closed down?

Feivi

Nov 2, 2010, 1:04:05 PM11/2/10
to Google AJAX APIs
There's a lot going on now over at Google apis. Do I understand
correctly that this api (ajax web search api) is going to be shut
down?

Thanks

Jeremy Geerdes

Nov 2, 2010, 1:40:47 PM11/2/10
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
The old AJAX APIs have been deprecated. Per Google's official deprecation policy, they will continue reasonable efforts to support the APIs for 3 years.

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Effective website design & development
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:
http://jgeerdes.home.mchsi.com
jrge...@gmail.com

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!

manu_bet

Nov 2, 2010, 2:26:21 PM11/2/10
to Google AJAX APIs
WHAT?????

I'm trying to search some interesting points, for
example...restaurants, around my geoposition. I thought to use AJAX
local search but...so i have no way to get that info?

thanks

On 2 nov, 18:40, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The old AJAX APIs have been deprecated. Per Google's official deprecation policy, they will continue reasonable efforts to support the APIs for 3 years.
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Effective website design & development
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:http://jgeerdes.home.mchsi.com
> jrgeer...@gmail.com

Adam Feldman

Nov 2, 2010, 2:29:26 PM11/2/10
to Google AJAX APIs
That's right. Also, please note that of all the formerly-named "AJAX
APIs", only Web and Local Search APIs have been deprecated.

For Web and Local Search alternatives, please check out the new Custom
Search API and the Places API, respectively:
http://code.google.com/apis/customsearch/v1/overview.html
http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/places/

Thanks,
Adam

On Nov 2, 1:40 pm, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The old AJAX APIs have been deprecated. Per Google's official deprecation policy, they will continue reasonable efforts to support the APIs for 3 years.
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Effective website design & development
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:http://jgeerdes.home.mchsi.com
> jrgeer...@gmail.com

manu_bet

Nov 2, 2010, 2:56:18 PM11/2/10
to Google AJAX APIs
thank a lot, I will check out Custon Search API. As I've read about
the places API, the only API-keys which are being released is for
using in check-in apps, so, i can't use it

On 2 nov, 19:29, Adam Feldman <adam.feld...@google.com> wrote:
> That's right.  Also, please note that of all the formerly-named "AJAX
> APIs", only Web and Local Search APIs have been deprecated.
>
> For Web and Local Search alternatives, please check out the new Custom
> Search API and the Places API, respectively:http://code.google.com/apis/customsearch/v1/overview.htmlhttp://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/places/

Feivi

Nov 2, 2010, 3:17:55 PM11/2/10
to Google AJAX APIs

On Nov 2, 8:29 pm, Adam Feldman <adam.feld...@google.com> wrote:
> That's right.  Also, please note that of all the formerly-named "AJAX
> APIs", only Web and Local Search APIs have been deprecated.

Pretty surprising that from all the apis, these two (which I'm fairly
certain were among the most used) were the ones deprecated. CSE is
very obviously not a good replacement for the web api, which allowed
web-wide search. I'm pretty disappointed at Google...

Feivi

Nov 2, 2010, 3:18:15 PM11/2/10
to Google AJAX APIs

On Nov 2, 8:29 pm, Adam Feldman <adam.feld...@google.com> wrote:
> That's right.  Also, please note that of all the formerly-named "AJAX
> APIs", only Web and Local Search APIs have been deprecated.

Feivi

Nov 2, 2010, 3:26:43 PM11/2/10
to Google AJAX APIs

On Nov 2, 8:29 pm, Adam Feldman <adam.feld...@google.com> wrote:
> That's right.  Also, please note that of all the formerly-named "AJAX
> APIs", only Web and Local Search APIs have been deprecated.

Feivi

Nov 2, 2010, 5:15:18 PM11/2/10
to Google AJAX APIs
I apologize, I'm really not sure why my reply showed up three times...

manu_bet

Nov 2, 2010, 5:46:00 PM11/2/10
to Google AJAX APIs
Im agree, that new custom search method is a little disappointing. So
i dont know how look for point around a exact point by geoposition.

And i have to deliver my project in december....

omr

Nov 2, 2010, 5:54:39 PM11/2/10
to Google AJAX APIs
Feivi wrote:
> "... CSE is very obviously not a good replacement for the web api, which allowed web-wide search. ..."

FWIW, web search with a CSE still appears to be possible (with some
limitations on results) as before. The CSE control panel offers an
option to "search the entire web but emphasize" [boost] "included
sites." (A CSE created through the Wizard initially has at least one
"included site", but if no site bias is desired the inclusion can be
deleted through the control panel. Alternatively the desired settings
can be established by editing the XML specification of the CSE.) Of
course usage is subject to applicable Terms.

Is CSE web-search capability expected to remain available in the long
term? (If so, might some additional guidelines and FAQs be issued to
further clarify intended usage?)

BTW / IMO:

Some clarification may yet be needed regarding the future status of
some features and methods which, up to now, have been associated with
the Web Search API, but can also be used with the Custom Search
Control.

IIRC, previous documentation for the Custom Search Control noted that
the control's implementation is based on (extends) a WebSearch
searcher (effectively using setSiteRestriction). Applicable Web
Search API methods can be used with the Custom Search Control (and
this can be helpful in some cases).

Given that the Web Search API as such will be retired after the
deprecation period, will future Custom Search Control implementations
continue to support (in some form) such applicable methods that up to
now have been associated with the Web Search API?

If in the long term the Custom Search Control may continue to support
those methods, can we expect the applicable Web Search documentation
to eventually migrate to a future edition of Custom Search Control
documentation?

-- omr

Jeremy Geerdes

Nov 2, 2010, 6:05:25 PM11/2/10
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
omr-

You are correct that the current CustomSearchControl utilizes the legacy WebSearch. And the GoogleBar that was recommended in the official announcement is not only limited to GMaps API v2, but it also utilizes the legacy LocalSearch. Obviously, both of these will have to be completely re-engineered. And to make it even more fun, the new APIs don't include JS (or any other) wrappers like the WebSearch and LocalSearch objects, so you're left to build your own. I look forward to seeing how these new APIs come out after they've baked under the heat of real-world use.

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Effective website design & development
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:
http://jgeerdes.home.mchsi.com

jrge...@gmail.com

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!

omr

Nov 2, 2010, 10:36:25 PM11/2/10
to Google AJAX APIs
Jeremy Geerdes wrote:

> ... And to make it even more fun, the new APIs don't include JS (or any other) wrappers like the WebSearch and LocalSearch objects, so you're left to build your own. ...

Apparently so.
Still (at least for the time being) the Custom Search Control's
internal WebSearch object remains reachable via
setSearchStartingCallback and setSearchCompleteCallback (as you know
the searcher is provided in the 2nd argument to the callback). I hope
there's no reason to doubt that these methods will remain exposed for
the Custom Search Control throughout the Web Search API deprecation
period.

-- omr

Adam Feldman

Nov 3, 2010, 12:56:06 AM11/3/10
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi everyone,

The Custom Search element, which is backed by the Custom Search
Control, is not being deprecated. There are no plans remove support
for this element or remove any features. The great this about using
this UI widget is that we can make changes to the underlying API (such
as swapping out the old Web Search API for the new Custom Search API)
without making any breaking changes. In fact, we’re planning to do
just that in the future - by removing the cruft of the old Web Search
Control in the code, we’ll be able to make the Element faster and
easier to use (not to mention easier to document!).

Regarding the GoogleBar, that’s a great point. We’re working hard at
adding similar functionality to the Maps API v3. Again, it will be
available long before v2 is retired, and it won’t be dependent on the
deprecated Local Search API.

Another concern that was raised in this thread is about the lack of a
JS client library for the new APIs. As the blog post mentioned, these
APIs were built on our new architecture. One of the benefits of this
common infrastructure is that we can offer generic client libraries
that will work with all of the APIs. Because of the consistency,
we’re able to spend more time developing client libraries, and will
offer them for a variety of languages, including Java (http://
code.google.com/p/google-api-java-client), Python (http://
code.google.com/p/google-api-python-client), and Ruby (http://
code.google.com/p/google-api-ruby-client). We’re also working on one
for JavaScript, which will be available in the coming months.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - please keep your questions and
comments coming.

Cheers,
Adam

omr

Nov 3, 2010, 5:39:12 AM11/3/10
to Google AJAX APIs
I wrote:

> "... Can we expect the applicable Web Search documentation to eventually migrate to a future edition of Custom Search Control documentation?"

With apologies for not noticing this before, I see that the Custom
Search Element / CustomSearchControl documentation has already been
updated to include much of that relevant information derived from Web
Search API documentation.

http://code.google.com/apis/customsearch/docs/js/cselement-reference.html

Of course some of the documented CustomSearchControl methods continue
to refer to "searcher" objects (see e.g. the "addSearcher" method, and
the "searcher" parameters of the starting/completion callbacks).

"Searchers" are of course further explained in the Web Search API
Class Reference (a remnant of the old AJAX Search APIs Class Reference
where these objects were originally documented).

http://code.google.com/apis/websearch/docs/reference.html#_intro_GSearch

Problem:

Currently the CustomSearchControl documentation doesn't fully explain
the "searcher" object's role and its relation to the control (nor does
that documentation provide a link to the existing discussion in the
legacy Web Search API documentation).

Consider a newcomer reading the CustomSearchControl documentation.
(Suppose the newcomer *hasn't* read the legacy Web Search API
documentation.) The newcomer will note the "addSearcher" method, and
the "searcher" parameters of the starting/completion callbacks. The
reader may want to further understand the role of "searcher" objects
in relation to the control, but the CustomSearchControl documentation
doesn't fully explain this.

Suggestion:

The CustomSearchControl documentation could be expanded to further
explain the role of "searcher" objects as used with that type of
control. (In the meantime an interim alternative would be to add a
reference link from CustomSearchControl documentation to the existing
"Searchers" section of the legacy Web Search API documentation.)

-- omr

omr

Nov 3, 2010, 5:40:19 AM11/3/10
to Google AJAX APIs