google image search how

C Gábor

Dec 13, 2011, 5:41:26 AM12/13/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Since Google image search API is deprecated how on earth is it
possible to perform image search via Goole APIs? By image search I
mean image search only.

Google custom search can enable image search on an additional,
optional tab. This is by no means equivalent.
How can you perform image search only, i.e. display image search
results by default (and no web search results)?

Neither the current custom search nor the JSON search API
documentation enables you to perform image searches!

Thanks for any idea,
Gábor

Jeremy Geerdes

Dec 13, 2011, 7:42:49 AM12/13/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
The bad news is that there is currently no announced successor to the Image Search API. The good news is that the Image Search API will continue to work, per the API's deprecation policy. That policy basically states that Google will maintain (which basically means they'll keep it running but not actively develop new features) for a period of 3 years after the deprecation announcement. (Please note that there is a caveat to this: Google can terminate the deprecated service at any time if it unilaterally determines that it is unreasonable to continue offering and/or supporting it. The utilized this loophole with the Translate API, which was shut down 6 months after the deprecation announcement. But they don't really even have to announce the shutdown before they do it.) Since the Image Search API's deprecation was announced in May 2011, you can generally expect that it will continue to function in some form until May 2014.

In other words, you can continue to use the Image Search API.

I would also point out that the dev team has noted that they are considering implementing the CSE's new image search functionality through the Custom Search API. I think that is probably our best bet for a successor to the Image Search API.

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Generally Cool Guy
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:
jrge...@gmail.com

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!

> --
> To view this message on the web, visit
> http://groups.google.com/group/google-ajax-search-api?hl=en_US
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/google-ajax-search-api?hl=en?hl=en

C Gábor

Dec 13, 2011, 8:29:06 AM12/13/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Thanks! I'm also curios about the usage limits of a deprecated API.
It is really surprising to me that Google just ditched image search
API without any replacement.
(Bing API is a serious competition this regard.)

On Dec 13, 1:42 pm, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The bad news is that there is currently no announced successor to the Image Search API. The good news is that the Image Search API will continue to work, per the API's deprecation policy. That policy basically states that Google will maintain (which basically means they'll keep it running but not actively develop new features) for a period of 3 years after the deprecation announcement. (Please note that there is a caveat to this: Google can terminate the deprecated service at any time if it unilaterally determines that it is unreasonable to continue offering and/or supporting it. The utilized this loophole with the Translate API, which was shut down 6 months after the deprecation announcement. But they don't really even have to announce the shutdown before they do it.) Since the Image Search API's deprecation was announced in May 2011, you can generally expect that it will continue to function in some form until May 2014.
>
> In other words, you can continue to use the Image Search API.
>
> I would also point out that the dev team has noted that they are considering implementing the CSE's new image search functionality through the Custom Search API. I think that is probably our best bet for a successor to the Image Search API.
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Generally Cool Guy
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:

> jrgeer...@gmail.com

Jeremy Geerdes

Maria João Ivo

Dec 13, 2011, 10:03:44 AM12/13/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

How can I use Bing Api with Wordfast classic 6???

I am lost here

thanks
Maria

C Gábor

Dec 13, 2011, 11:12:30 AM12/13/11
to Google AJAX APIs
What do you mean? What API? What Wordfast? I'm lost here too.
(Are you sure you wanted to post in this thread?)

On Dec 13, 4:03 pm, Maria João Ivo <ostradutoreslusofo...@gmail.com>

Jeremy Geerdes

C Gábor

Dec 13, 2011, 11:16:51 AM12/13/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I think I'll give this deprecated
API a shot and hope CSE will provide this functionality in the future.
I doubt they will phase it out before CSE providing equivalent
features.

Bing looks very nice this regard, supports image search via JSON
nicely, no API limits.
But I won't sign up and introduce additional dependencies just for
that.
And overall, Google rocks much harder.

Best Regards, Gábor