Unity Plugin 2.1 Setup Guide

Frederik Bisp

Oct 7, 2014, 12:23:07 PM10/7/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I recently made a game for both Android and iOS, and I want ads from Google. I googled it, and turns out that I should use this: https://github.com/googleads/googleads-mobile-plugins/tree/v2.1 package. I downloaded it and imported it to my project. Then I went to Admob.com, and got an ID for my add. But here it starts to confuse me.

When I click at Unity at github (which sends me to: https://github.com/googleads/googleads-mobile-plugins/tree/master/unity), I see this setup guide. But I see several problems that I'm not able to solve.

1. Under Requirements --> Android, I see "Google Play services 4.0 or higher". Does it mean that I need to download more? When I click at it, it takes me to some Google page, but I see no Unity support anywhere. Do I need to download some Google Play Service plugin, or isn't it necessary?

2. Under Requirements --> iOS, I see "Google Mobile Ads SDK", and it takes me some download page. Do I really need to install that? And how do I integrate it into my Unity project?

3. Under Android Setup. I don't have a custom manifest, since I use the prebuild manifest from Unity.  Can I skip this part? I don't have a /extras/google/google_play_services/libproject folder anywhere, and can't see how to download it?

4. Under Run the project --> iOS. Is it wrong that I can simply follow this: https://developers.google.com/mobile-ads-sdk/docs/admob/ios/quick-start

5. Last. Which game object do I have to attach the script to? Do I need different Ad Unit ID for different platforms, and how do I implement that?

I know that it is a lot of questions, but I'm very confused. I don't feel like there is enough documentation out there, and I'm properly not the only one confused.

Kunal Verma

Oct 7, 2014, 12:49:36 PM10/7/14
to Google AdMob Ads Developers
1- This refers to the client side. So moreover, platform supported rather than Unity support. On the same page, its written "Automatic updates above 2.3".

2- You need to include the regular library as it is written in the steps on the same page using Xcode as Unity does iOS app testing, archiving and building through Xcode only.

3- I have seen that the prebuild manifest has all the necessary activities and permissions for AdMob but you can recheck it. You can download GPS lib through eclipse-> Android SDK manager -> Google Play services.

4- For me, it was more simple to understand on this page only -> https://github.com/googleads/googleads-mobile-plugins/tree/master/unity

5-  I attached the script to the gameobject which is having all the other script. I think it will work will any object but I haven't tried with others.
And Yes, you need to have different Ad Unit ID for different platforms as you will create different App and ad unit ids in AdMob console.

Let us know if you need further help. For me, this documentation was sufficient, you will see once you receive the first test ad.

Best,
Kunal

--

---

Eric Leichtenschlag

Oct 8, 2014, 9:07:00 PM10/8/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I've updated the README in a couple places to be a little more clear on questions 3 and 4. You do need to get Google Play services from Android's SDK Manager, as well as the iOS Mobile Ads SDK, since the plugin depends on those libraries to actually make ad requests.

For Android, see how to use the SDK Manager here.

For 5, see the sample app to see how to add the code. Different ad units are set up per platform. And you just need to attach the script to the Main Camera or anywhere really. You just need the Unity code that requests the ad to actually run.

Thanks,
Eric

Frederik Bisp

Oct 25, 2014, 2:37:32 PM10/25/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to both of you. I think I got everything going for me, which is nice.

Also good job updating the description: I think that the added link in the README will help other people a lot - it helped me at least.