Request an ad from a mediation provider manually

Andrew Ivasiv

Jul 17, 2020, 3:10:51 AM7/17/20
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hello,

I am integrating admob mediation for IOS in an environment that does not support cocoa pods and dynamic frameworks (Unreal Engine 4). Because of this, I am unable to add the mediation test suite.
I tried downloading the pod and converting it and its dependencies to a static library but this results in a crash inside the test suite with no error when it is launched (looks like some sort of exception or an assert - I am hitting a breakpoint in assembly code as debug symbols are not present).

The main question: Is it possible to request an ad from a meditation provider so that I can test that my integration work? I suspect there should be a way to construct a special ad request but I am having trouble finding any documentation on this.
Would appreciate an answer even if this is not possible so I can spare time looking into this further.

Many thanks,
Andrew

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Jul 17, 2020, 6:19:31 AM7/17/20
to ment...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

If you weren't able to install our mediation test suite, you need to test the ad manually by following the test implementation of the mediation network you've installed in your app. Here is an example testing guide for AdColony mediation.

Regards,
Teejay Pimentel
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q21mmwM:ref

Andrew Ivasiv

Jul 17, 2020, 6:59:21 AM7/17/20
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
These guides walk you through how to make the mediation providers send you test ads, I've already set that up during android implementation.
Are you suggesting I simply spam test ad requests and check the adNetworkClassName to verify that I can receive ads from mediated networks? Because I cannot disable admob as a provider I am not sure how many requests I would need to get an ad from the provider I want.

Is calling the adapter code directly supported?

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Jul 17, 2020, 8:57:08 AM7/17/20
to ment...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

I work wit Teejay and will try to assist you. Your brute force method might work. To make the chances of getting an ad from that network higher although this forum doesn't support server side AdMob, let me suggest that you set the expected eCPM from that network very high and turning off automatic optimization as described here - https://support.google.com/admob/answer/7376572?hl=en&ref_topic=7383089.

Regarding manual download of our mediation test suite, I have heard that publishers have done a pod install on an empty project and took frameworks and added them to the project. I have heard also that some publishers take a diff on the clean install and that that diff includes configuration changes. If the above doesn't work and you want to get your hands dirty you can install the pods with this method to have verbose logging of what happens like this:

pod install --repo-update --verbose > ~/Desktop/log.txt. (taken from stackoverflow article - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32154188/cocoapods-how-to-get-the-git-repo-address-for-the-pod-youve-installed) In podfile.lock you will see the versions of the frameworks that come with the version of the mediation test suite that you want to use. You can then check the log.txt to find where the spec is located in https://github.com/CocoaPods/Specs and find the podspec.json for the version you want. In the podspec.json is the URL to that download. You may then download that version and unzip and use.

All of the above is unsupported by us, but wether it works or not we would love to hear from you about your experience trying.

I raised your request for manual installation of the mediation test suite to the rest of my team. If the implemented you will see it reported in our blog or in our documentation .

Kind regards,
Aryeh Baker

Andrew Ivasiv

Jul 17, 2020, 9:24:41 AM7/17/20
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hello Aryeh,

I saw mentions of downloading a pod and copying frameworks in another thread and already tried it. Unfortunately the problem there is that the material components dependency is built as a dynamic framework which are not supported by Unreal Engine and my attempts to convert it to a static framework failed.

Thanks for the eCPM tip, I'll try playing around with the configuration to try and verify my implementation - hopefully, it will all work.

Appreciate the help and quick responses.
Many thanks,
Andrew

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Jul 17, 2020, 10:01:15 AM7/17/20
to ment...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the manual download - someone in your shoes may be helped by that. I hope you can verify with that other tip. If you only want to verify your server side setup you can just use our sample apps just adding the mediation test suitemediation adaptors , app Id and ad unit Id's.