When should I use use setTagForUnderAgeOfConsent(true) in UMP sdk?

Mirawo

Jun 4, 2023, 2:27:52 PM6/4/23
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hello, I am implementing UMP and when creating ConsentRequestParameters, it can be setTagForUnderAgeOfConsent(true) or setTagForUnderAgeOfConsent(false).

In the official documentation, it states the following:
// Set tag for underage of consent. Here false means users are not underage.

This is the ConsentRequestParameters of UMP:

  ConsentRequestParameters params = new ConsentRequestParameters
 .Builder()
 .setTagForUnderAgeOfConsent(true or false?)
 .build();

Okay, so I have to obtain the age of the user that is using the app and if the age is lower to 18 years  use .setTagForUnderAgeOfConsent(true) or this is not the correct way of doing this?

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Jun 7, 2023, 3:20:30 AM6/7/23
to civic...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mirawo,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

This setting is primarily dependent of the type of app you are developing. If your app caters to certain age groups then you can indicate whether you want Google to treat your content appropriately when you make an ad request.
  • setTagForUnderAgeOfConsent() with TAG_FOR_UNDER_AGE_OF_CONSENT_TRUE to indicate that you want the ad request to receive treatment for users in the European Economic Area (EEA) under the age of consent.
  • setTagForUnderAgeOfConsent() with TAG_FOR_UNDER_AGE_OF_CONSENT_FALSE to indicate that you want the ad request to not receive treatment for users in the European Economic Area (EEA) under the age of consent.
With this, yes, you will have to obtain the age of the user. If the user is below the age of consent then you have to set it to true, otherwise, set it to false. However, if the user did not specify their age you can set it to unspecified: setTagForUnderAgeOfConsent() with TAG_FOR_UNDER_AGE_OF_CONSENT_UNSPECIFIED to indicate that you have not specified whether the ad request should receive treatment for users in the European Economic Area (EEA) under the age of consent. You can read more in this document: https://developers.google.com/admob/android/targeting.

Feel free to reach back to us if you have further concerns or inquiries.

This message is in relation to case "ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2m9Gcy:ref"

Thanks,

Google Logo Mobile Ads SDK Team

Mirawo

Jun 8, 2023, 12:20:40 PM6/8/23
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hello, I think you are talking about  RequestConfiguration which also has  setTagForUnderAgeOfConsent() which recieves an enum, but I am talking about  ConsentRequestParameters which recieves a boolean, so the only possible arguments are true or false.

In the other hand, what do you mean about " If your app caters to certain age groups then you can indicate whether you want Google to treat your content appropriately when you make an ad request."? For example if my app rating is targeted to more than 7 years, could I always use  setTagForUnderAgeOfConsent(false)? Or how many years should my app target so that I don't need to ask the age of the user and always use setTagForUnderAgeOfConsent(false)?

To end up, what is the age of consent? Is it 18 years old?

Thank you.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Jun 14, 2023, 2:05:04 AM6/14/23
to civic...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mirawo,

Thank you for the response.

For more information regarding ConsentRequestParameters, you can refer to this document: https://developers.google.com/admob/android/privacy/api/reference/com/google/android/ump/ConsentRequestParameters.html

Regarding the age of consent, I’m afraid that this is no longer within our scope. You will have to reach out to other forums for assistance on this. However, I can refer you to General Data Protection Regulation (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32016R0679) for more information relating this to Google AdMob.