Why "GADIsAdManagerApp" is required in the plist file since version 7.42?

Vladimir Terziyski

Jun 14, 2019, 4:50:39 AM6/14/19
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Basically if you don't add this field GADIsAdManagerApp set to "yes" - the google mobile ads framework fails to initialize and the app crashes.

I have a mobile game made in unity and I'm exporting to ios. I have admob account and never created Google Ad Manager account.
Why should I add GADIsAdManagerApp set to "Yes" when my app is not an "Ad manager"?

Thanks

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Jun 14, 2019, 7:09:07 AM6/14/19
to vladimir...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for bringing this to us. Let me do the best that I can to help you with this.

Could you check and follow this guide and let me know if you still encounter the same issue?

Regards,
Teejay Pimentel
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5001UBnJB6:ref

Vladimir Terziyski

Jun 15, 2019, 5:54:46 AM6/15/19
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response.
Yes have followed the guide on this page. In fact I've tried to set GADIsAdManagerApp to "false" - but then the app didn't start because of failing to initialize the Google Mobile Ads SDK.

One thing here I can't understand: For IOS integration It says the following "If your app uses Ad Manager instead of AdMob, modify PListProcessor.cs to add the following line of code to write a GADIsAdManagerApp key into your app's Info.plist".
How can I tell if I did something that requires this option to be set to "true"?

I've never created an Ad Manager App. I have only an ad mob account. I want to use the ad mob to show ads in my app and also to promote my app.
I am using the App ID generated from the Google AdMob. Also I have the test ad unit set, which I got from the documentation's example.
My app is not linked to the App Store yet and I don't have an ad unit, since I'm using the test one. Later I'll create the ad unit

Regards,
Vladimir

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Jun 16, 2019, 11:02:45 PM6/16/19
to vladimir...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Could you please provide us a project (or at least a test project) where the issue is reproducible so we could check it on our end as well? Please use "Reply Privately to Author" option to share the details privately.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Jun 17, 2019, 11:59:55 PM6/17/19
to vladimir...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vladimir,

Thank you for providing additional details on your concern. I'm Ziv, Teejay's colleague, and I will be assisting you on your concern since Teejay is out-of-office today.

Upon checking all the details you've provided, it seems that the cause of the crash is due to not having a valid GADApplicationIdentifier inside Info.plist. Since you've said that you weren't using the Ad Manager SDK, and that a blank project immediately crashes without any modifications on the code, I suggest you delete GADisAdManagerApp from Info.plist, and add GADApplicationIdentifier instead (after exporting the Unity project to Xcode). You may refer to this page for further details.

Let me know if this works for you. If it still doesn't, you may send us a copy of your Unity project using the Reply privately to author option.

Regards,
Ziv Yves Sanchez

Vladimir Terziyski

Jun 19, 2019, 6:47:13 AM6/19/19
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ziv,
Sorry for the delay, but I'm doing some testing these days and found out what I'm doing wrong.
I'm developing on a Windows pc and later export it to OS X to make deployment for the App store
It turns out that I'm adding the Google mobile ads framework the wrong way. Instead of actually installing the pod file - I'm adding the frameworks manually to the project - GoogleMobileAds.framework

If I actually run the command "pod update" as described here, everything works fine: https://developers.google.com/ios/guides/cocoapods
I need to open the xcworkspace file after that.

These are the steps for future reference if someone does the same mistake:
* First I create the Unity project on a Windows machine
* Then I make an IOS build and export it to xcode project with Unity
* After that I copy the generated project to Mac OS Mojave (I don't have access to mac, that's why I'm using Unity in Windows to create the xcode project)
* Then after opening the xcodeproj file with xcode - I add manually the Google mobile ads framework from here https://developers.google.com/admob/ios/download (by dragging, dropping and installing the framework in xcode)
* Adding the framework location in "Framework search paths" otherwise it won't build

Thanks for the help.

Kingbastet1

Apr 24, 2020, 12:18:29 PM4/24/20
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi,

I work with Ad manager and not with Admob , where can i found the  GADApplicationIdentifier?

Thanks.

PM.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Apr 24, 2020, 2:07:39 PM4/24/20
to pablitow...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi KingBastet1,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

As stated previous, the GADApplicationIdentifier is inside the info.plist. Also as you will see, it is changed to GADIsAdManagerApp. If you would like to see more about AdManager, you can also check out our documentation here.

Regards,
William Pescherine

Samarth Kejriwal

May 6, 2020, 7:17:40 AM5/6/20
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi,

I am facing the issue of updating the Google Mobile Ads SDK to the latest version to remove the instances of UIWebView because on updating the SDK, there is this crash of not initialised the SDK properly,
I work only with AdManager, I don't have an Ad-mob account, so adding only the  GADIsAdManagerApp to "yes" in the Info.plist will work?

Thanks.

PM.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

May 6, 2020, 10:29:41 AM5/6/20
to samarth....@caastle.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Samarth,

Thank you for bringing your question about the new requirements when updating to the new SDK. If your old SDK was below 7.42.0 then when updating to 7.42.0 or later it will be necessary to add for Ad Manager a key GADIsAdManagerApp with boolean "yes" to the Info.plist as described here, and that addition should remedy your crash and initialize the SDK correctly. For AdMob the SDK needs a different addition to Info.plist - GADApplicationIdentifier with string of app Id as described here

Regards,
Aryeh Baker
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q1zKQDl:ref