Difference between MediationBannerAdapter and CustomEventBanner classes [Android]

Tony Chan

Oct 25, 2013, 6:58:22 PM10/25/13
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
About Android SDK. Two questions:

First
What's the difference in purpose between MediationBannerAdapter and CustomEventBanner classes (as well as their related Interstitial versions)?

In the docs for MediationBannerAdapter it states: "Adapter for third party ad networks that support banner ads."  The docs for CustomEventBanner make no mention of third party ad networks. But both classes seem to have similar requestBannerAd() methods.

Basically I'm wondering why AdMob is suggesting third party ad networks to build their official AdMob mediation adapters by subclassing MediationBannerAdapter as opposed to just subclassing CustomEventBanner (which is what I currently do for ad networks that don't have their own AdMob mediation adapters). Does this method not already accomplish what is needed of an adapter?

Second
Also, if one wanted to write an actual AdMob mediation adapter (not just custom events), where is the guide for this? All I can find is the docs for the MediationAdapter class and its related classes, but no guide or samples.

Amy Quispe (AdMob SDK Team)

Oct 31, 2013, 5:58:12 PM10/31/13
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi there Tony,

MediationAdapter is only for ad networks that are turned on for all publishers; unless you're partnered with Google, this is probably not what you're looking for. You can use the CustomEventBanner (and related classes) otherwise.

Hope this helps!

Amy