GooglePlayService InterstitialAd app restart on android 4.0.4+

Marco Di Scala

Apr 8, 2014, 9:37:33 AM4/8/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I integrated the googleplayservices in my android app, but some users say that after closing the interstitialAd, the app restarts.
I tried it on Android 2.3 and everything works fine, but users who reported the problem have Android 4.0.4 or later, so I tried it myself on a samsung galaxy s3 and indeed the app restarts.
It seems that the operating system closes the app to free up memory, but this causes a serious problem if the interstitialAd is shown when the application starts, because the application is always restarted creating a loop.

Has anyone encountered this problem? If yes, how has solved the problem?

Thanks

Amy Quispe (AdMob SDK Team)

Apr 8, 2014, 1:09:06 PM4/8/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marco,

I haven't seen this problem before. Is your app in particular very memory intensive (I know AdMob can be somewhat processor intensive)? Does this happen consistently at every interstitial placement?

Amy Quispe

Marco Di Scala

Apr 8, 2014, 1:20:06 PM4/8/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
No it isn't, my app is not memory intensive. My app show journal news and after user read the news I show the interstitial.
In normal case, after interstitial is closed, i show the loaded list of news again.
In 4.0.4 case, the app restarts and all the lists are reload. (this happen at every interstitial placement)

I found an other user with my same problem here: http://forums.makingmoneywithandroid.com/advertising-networks/4560-beware-showing-admob-interstitials-app-launch.html but no resolution. (Anyway in my case I doesn't show the interstitial on application startup)

Amy Quispe (AdMob SDK Team)

Apr 8, 2014, 1:37:10 PM4/8/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marco,

That looks like it's a problem with onDismissScreen, and not a resources problem (obviously still a bug). Do you know if the problem you're reporting happens at other points in the app?

Amy Quispe

Marco Di Scala

Apr 8, 2014, 1:47:19 PM4/8/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amy,

I also have another app, and the problem also occurs there. In this other app I show interstitials at different locations.
In this app I have 1 FragmentActivity and many fragments. When interstitial is closed the fragmentactivity is recreated, loosing all the backstack.
I use the supportfragmentmanager, maybe this can help you. All work fine on samsung galaxy mini2 (android 2.3.6).
On all emulators with android 4.0.4+ the problem does not occours.