Apple ATT and UMP - Things are not clear

Nickolas Maniatis

May 13, 2021, 8:03:32 AM5/13/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Dear Google,

Speaking on behalf of my Agency we are having trouble understanding your implementation of UMP in contrast with Apple's ATT Alert.

Let me explain, one of our apps is a new's app with Google Admob SDK. We are displaying your UMP Screen the moment the user opens the app for the first time and before we even show an Ad. The user makes his choice and then before loading any Ad we prompt the ATT Alert. After the user makes a choice we load the ads.

This is not accepted by Apple, our App got rejected because:
Apple_reject_Google_UMP_prompt.jpg

So Apple wants us to Show Apple's ATT Alert and if the User selects "Allow" then we can show your UMP Screen and if the user selects "Ask App not to Track" then we cannot present the UMP screen. In your documentation you say
"It is a best practice to load a form every time the user launches your app, even if you determine consent is not required, so that the form is ready to display in case the user wishes to change their consent setting."

So concluding, Google says "Show UMP and then ATT" and Apple say's "Show ATT and then any other form depending on user feedback"

Could you please help me through this issue because I feel so lost. Both Apple and Google's documentation is way minimalistic and doesn't provide good examples in real life applications.

Best,

xồm xồm

May 13, 2021, 8:57:29 AM5/13/21
to Nickolas Maniatis, Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
So now how do I do it? i need help
Vào 19:03, Th 5, 13 thg 5, 2021 Nickolas Maniatis <mani...@gmail.com> đã viết:
--

---

Andre McMichael

May 13, 2021, 8:58:39 AM5/13/21
to xồm xồm, Nickolas Maniatis, Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

May 13, 2021, 10:20:55 AM5/13/21
to andremcm...@gmail.com, hoangb...@gmail.com, mani...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

It's been brought to our attention that Apple has been rejecting the standard form as set up by the Funding Choices and I have brought this up with my team. You may monitor IDFA Messages in your FundingChoices account for an update on the standard text provided by Google.

In the meantime, the form's text and button text can be modified in any way a publisher sees fit so that Apple won't reject it. At the bottom of the rejection letter from Nickolas it states that you can provide users additional information about why you are asking for ATT.

Also, in January, the Funding Choice UI was updated. It is recommended if you are using an IDFA form created before January that you create another one.

Regards,

Google Logo
Aryeh Baker
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2HAc1k:ref

Nickolas Maniatis

May 25, 2021, 3:08:22 AM5/25/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Thanks for your response but you didn't say when we use ATT and when we use the UMP form ? Which comes first and which second ? Do we need both for EU applications ?

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

May 25, 2021, 5:26:41 AM5/25/21
to mani...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nickolas,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

With regard to your question, both consent is required for EU applications. You can follow this documentation for UMP and ATT. On the other hand, I can't give insight with regard to which comes first as this is more on the flow of your application.

Regards,

Google Logo
Princess Pamela Pineda
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2HAc1k:ref

S G

Jun 14, 2024, 4:18:51 AM (12 days ago) Jun 14
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
I have the same issue mentioned above. Your proposal has no sense because the problem is how to combine UMP and ATT to pass Apple's review but you just post links to the documentation with no sense

вторник, 25 мая 2021 г. в 12:26:41 UTC+3, Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod:

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Jun 14, 2024, 10:10:55 AM (12 days ago) Jun 14
to bard...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi S G,

If you are using Mobile Ads SDK, so this ATT pop up can come up through SDK. First time consent pop up will come once agree then ATT will come.

I would suggest here to remove custom code of ATT and utilize SDK level ATT to avoid any rejection through Apple.

Make sure to update your Info.plist to add the NSUserTrackingUsageDescription key with a custom message describing your usage. For Ex:
<key>NSUserTrackingUsageDescription</key>
<string>This identifier will be used to deliver personalized ads to you.</string>

If you decide to include App Tracking Transparency(ATT) in your app, you can use the User Messaging Platform (UMP) SDK to trigger an IDFA explainer that gives users some context of why you're asking for this permission. Be aware that the usage of the UMP SDK affects all users of your app. If you aren't using the UMP SDK, the Request App Tracking Transparency authorization shows you how to implement the OS-level ATT authorization request manually. Also, refer to privacy strategies for iOS to decide whether Apple's ATT prompt is right for your app

Kindly get back to us in case you need any other help.

This message is in relation to case "ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02HAc1k:ref" (ADR-00066113)

Thanks,

Google Logo Mobile Ads SDK Team