AdMob eCPM Floor Beta presumably not working for me

Tyr

Oct 30, 2014, 8:27:09 AM10/30/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

the AdMob eCPM Floor Beta is presumably not working for me. I have similar problems as described in the 2013-thread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/google-admob-ads-sdk/AdMob$20eCPM$20Floor$20Beta/google-admob-ads-sdk/5ylWGQCz4_E/ubSWIDKNs4AJ

Can someone tell me if I can do anything on my side or if this is on AdMob to resolve?

In particular, I have had an eCPM of around 1 EUR. Then I introduced the eCPM Floor Beta with a value which I steadily increased to 20 Dollars (twenty!). I didn't change the value 20 for weeks. However, the eCPM remained always below 2 EUR and at the end was again around 1 EUR. Now, the strange part is: Fill rate has always stayed constant at >99%.

Shouldn't the fill-rate have dropped after I increased eCPM floor beta to the extreme value of 20 Dollars? Maybe a EUR/Dollar-issue?

Best
Tyr

Eric Leichtenschlag

Oct 31, 2014, 1:14:51 PM10/31/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Instead of using eCPM floor, I'd recommend using Optimize AdMob network. This is the v2 version of this feature, where AdMob will run an auction and automatically place itself in the mediation order based on the value of that particular request. No more having to guess yourself what is the optimal eCPM floor vs. fill rate to maximize value.

Tyr

Oct 31, 2014, 1:33:59 PM10/31/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Eric! Before I turn to "optimize adMob network", I still have one objection: I would have no problems if the fill-rate went down to 30% because I anyway request only every x-th time an ad. If fill-rate went to a third, then I just would request 3 times as often an ad.

So, I am still asking myself if using adMob Beta Floor could better "help me to get down to 30% fill-rate" (while at the same time significantly increasing impression eCPM)? Maybe you have a thought on that?

I appreciate any information on that!

Eric Leichtenschlag

Oct 31, 2014, 4:05:06 PM10/31/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
With eCPM floor beta, even if the eCPM floor beta line item failed, the regular AdMob line item will still backfill that request with upwards of 99% fill rate. In either case, there's no way to artificially lower the fill rate.

I think you'd want 100% fill rate anyways. Expect an ad every time, and then your app has complete control over when you request one. If you had 30% fill rate, you have an unknown variable.

Thanks,
Eric

t.xyl...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2014, 4:21:49 PM10/31/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Ok, just to make sure I understand: As far as I see there is (theoretically) NO difference between having 1) or 2):

1) eCPM floor beta PLUS with second priorityAdMob Network (and then no other other networks)
2) AdMobNetwork alone.

The only impact I can see that eCPM floor beta would have is if I had another ad network between eCPM floor beta and AdMob network.

Did I understand that correctly?

Thanks really very much for your support!

Eric Leichtenschlag

Oct 31, 2014, 4:43:14 PM10/31/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
When you optimize the AdMob network, AdMob runs an auction and automatically and places itself ahead or behind 3rd party networks depending on the results of that auction.

If you only have AdMob in your chain, neither (1) or (2) make any difference. AdMob always returns the best ad it has available, and these optimizing features are in place so that other networks are requested first if they have a higher eCPM than AdMob can offer.