API Level 8 is required for using AdMob (Google Play Version)

nagamatu

May 15, 2014, 11:05:40 AM5/15/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I just tried to use AdMob Google Play version from standalone one. Because standalone version is now deprecated.
But it requires android.util.Log#wtr - this requires API level 8 or later.

My application supports API level 4 or later. Please could you stop using Log#wtf in Google Play Services library for AdMob?

I found the following code in GooglePlayServicesUtil.class:

Log.wtf("GooglePlayServicesUtil", "Google Play services missing when getting application info.");
Log.wtf("GooglePlayServicesUtil", "This should never happen.", localNameNotFoundException);

Regards,
nagamatu

Amy Quispe (AdMob SDK Team)

May 15, 2014, 5:09:24 PM5/15/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nagamatu,

Actually, AdMob in Google Play Services requires API level 9 or higher. We have no plans to change this.

Amy Quispe

nagamatu

May 15, 2014, 7:59:57 PM5/15/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Amy,

I checked setup document and found out AdMob in Google Play requires runtime of Android 2.3 or later.
And standalone version requires a run-time of Android 1.5 or later.

What a Terrible Failure, AdMob requires API level 8 for logging functionality.

AdMob does not requires Google Play store application.
To verify that Google Play services is available on a device, GooglePlayServicesUtil may be used for.
If you remove dependency of latest api level from GooglePlayServicesUtil, AdMob sdk can fallback to standalone implementation that runs on 1.5 or later.

I can't believe Google have no way to change this.

--
nagamatu

2014年5月16日金曜日 6時09分24秒 UTC+9 Amy Quispe (AdMob SDK Team):

nagamatu

May 16, 2014, 6:03:07 AM5/16/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I removed android.util.Log.wtf by using ProGuard optimization and added android.util.Base64.java from the latest code base.
My application with AdMob in Google Play now successfully runs on Android 2.1, but not on Android 1.6.

Because GooglePlayServicesUtil also depends on android.content.res.Configuration.smallestScreenWidthDp that requires API level 13.

private static boolean b(Resources paramResources)
  {
    Configuration localConfiguration = paramResources.getConfiguration();
    if (fr.eL())
      return ((localConfiguration.screenLayout & 0xF) <= 3) && (localConfiguration.smallestScreenWidthDp >= 600);
    return false;
  }

On Android 1.6, class verification is executed on class loading time. This will be easily fixed If there is source code for Google Play Service library.

--
nagamatu

2014年5月16日金曜日 8時59分57秒 UTC+9 nagamatu:

nagamatu

May 18, 2014, 9:42:40 AM5/18/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Because the new Mobile Ads SDK does not support the same functionality of old standalone Google Mobile Ads SDK, I suspend the upgrade of using Google Play version now.

> Deprecated. On August 1, 2014, Google Play will stop accepting new or updated apps that use the old standalone Google Mobile Ads SDK v6.4.1 or lower. You > must upgrade to the Google Play version of the Mobile Ads SDK by then.

2014年5月16日金曜日 19時03分07秒 UTC+9 nagamatu:

nagamatu

Aug 6, 2014, 10:05:27 AM8/6/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Google Play does not accept an application those minSdkVersion is lower than 9 and using Google Play Service 5077000.
I anyway allow to use AP level 7 and Google Play Service client library co-existence at my application, but Google Play reject it.

I understand that AdMob support members are not good at Android programmer from this lesson. SIGHT
Please remove this limitation from Google Play ASAP.

2014年5月18日日曜日 22時42分40秒 UTC+9 nagamatu:
Message has been deleted

Alex Shcherbakov

Aug 7, 2014, 3:19:53 AM8/7/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I had REASON FOR REMOVAL: Violation of the intellectual property and..
what ban reason did you have in your notification?