Admob and Advertising ID questions

Don K

Feb 22, 2014, 1:20:20 PM2/22/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Where/how does the Advertising ID get applied with Admob (googleplayservices library) adRequests?
or is the advertising ID and flag already implemented/handled by the Admob GPS library?

An advertising ID example is offered here:
It shows how to retrieve the user's advertising ID and ad tracking preference
But doesn't show how you might apply the ID to an Admob adRequest.

Thanks

Amy Quispe (AdMob SDK Team)

Feb 24, 2014, 7:05:28 PM2/24/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Don,

Yes, our library listens for and handles the Advertising ID for you. You don't need to do anything for an adRequest.

Amy Quispe

Don Klein

Feb 24, 2014, 8:35:28 PM2/24/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Ah k,

and regarding other ad services in an admob mediation layer,
will each ad SDK need to be updated by august 1st (to use the ad ID)?
(otherwise, our app updates after august 1st wouldn't adhere to Googles terms correct?)

thanks Amy

Amy Quispe (AdMob SDK Team)

Feb 25, 2014, 4:38:36 PM2/25/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Don,

I'm not sure what you're asking. Mediation should still work fine, even with the upgraded library.

Amy Quispe

Don Klein

Feb 25, 2014, 5:23:34 PM2/25/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the confusion,
just trying to see what might be required changes in the months to come.

reading the Ad Policy here:

Ad Policy #1, states that the app as a whole falls under developer terms. so including ad services etc. should all adhere to the terms.
Ad Policy #5, last bullet, last sentence, states by Aug 1st all new app updates must use the AD ID instead of other identifiers.

So in my case, admob mediation includes mMedia ad services.  Wouldn't mMedia need to update their SDK to use the AD ID (instead of.. IMEI)?
otherwise any dev app updates after aug 1st (with any ad service SDK that don't use the ad ID) would in affect, not adhere to Googles Ad Policy terms.

Does this make sense?

thanks again

Amy Quispe (AdMob SDK Team)

Feb 25, 2014, 5:31:42 PM2/25/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Don,

I understand now. Yes, our mediation networks will need to update to reference Ad ID by August 1.

Amy Quispe

Sam Riggs

Apr 5, 2014, 2:48:15 PM4/5/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, February 24, 2014 7:05:28 PM UTC-5, Amy Quispe (AdMob SDK Team) wrote:

Hello Amy
I have the new version set up for ads using google services (I'm using a framework so it took abit of fixing to get it to work but it works now) but for this advertising id all we do is create the file as demonstrated and leave it at that?
That's what I am wondering, it says not to call it in the main thread (where I have the adRequest located at) but just in a separate thread only?
They really didn't give much information about this so I'm sure there is a lot of people wondering about this and maybe a better example would be good.
Is there anything at all we need to add in the main thread or just add the example provided and leave it at that is what I am wondering.
Thanks for any help you can provide
Sam

Le Canh Hoi

Jul 21, 2014, 12:31:12 PM7/21/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I have the same question with Sam, anyone has the answer? August 1st is coming and I afraid that my apps will be terminated at that time if we cannot do anything with that ads id.

Amy Quispe (AdMob SDK Team)

Jul 21, 2014, 5:32:33 PM7/21/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
As long as you're using the new Google Play Services library (as opposed to the old standalone AdMob SDK) you should be fine.

Amy Quispe

Sam Riggs

Jul 22, 2014, 2:41:52 AM7/22/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
From what I gather through all this, we do not need to track id's via:
adInfo.isLimitAdTrackingEnabled();
as shown here: https://developer.android.com/google/play-services/id.html
But use the adunitid and google services library and not the old standalone sdk's, according to Amy this should be fine.
It's a bit confusing because androids site says we must use the advertising id according to policies and Amy says we don't need this part.

Maybe the libraries add this part somehow,
not sure myself but from what I understand admob takes care of that part.
I switched mine over to the new adunit id and google play services but never added the tracking part as in the above example, for two main reasons,
one I'm not quite sure how to as there really isn't a good example but mainly because Amy said we don't need it as they track the ads from what I understand and take care of that part.
If I'm wrong Amy let us know please and thank you for all your help.

PS: I know this is off topic but why are the ads money gone down so much latley? almost half of what it was (quite abit of a big chunk) Is this the move over to the ad unit id or the move over to google play services?
I see a lot of complaints about this and I figured it might be due to this so I been waiting to see what happens and if it gets back to where it was before.
It can't be summer time because last year summer didn't effect the money for ads at all.
Hopefully it'll get back to where it was before :)
I also got an invalide click or clicks and never clicked on mine own, it was only .06 but it kind of threw me because I am really careful about this when testing apps.
I figured it might of been a mistake or glitch or something
I know I never click on my own, it's the first time I ever seen that.

Sam

Soh Guan Hoe

Jul 22, 2014, 10:25:16 AM7/22/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi I notice this thread after I post a new topic which is same as this.

I would like to confirm there is really nothing to do on our part as long as we have migrate our apps to use the admob with google play services library correct ?
1 Aug 2014 is just round the corner.

For the other question, after I migrate I also do notice the drop in ad request for those apps. I don't know if there is a glitch in reporting statistics or not.
I thought only I experience this problem but it seems to be also happening to others too.

Thanks.

Amy Quispe (AdMob SDK Team)

Jul 22, 2014, 3:04:29 PM7/22/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Right - the Google Play Services Mobile Ads library already handles the advertising ID for you.

Amy Quispe

Sam Riggs

Jul 22, 2014, 10:19:17 PM7/22/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Amy
Straight forward answer, that solves that one :)
Kind of figured thats what was going on with the advertising ID, but good to hear it.
As far as the drop in revenue, I'll wait to see what happens, I just kind of figured it must be the switch over to the new ad unit id from the old sdk and upgrading the manifest to gingerbread from froyo (so the froyo ones won't be counted anymore) and the folks that still haven't upgraded their apps and still have the old sdk in them may cause the drop also.
That's the only thing thing I can figured why the drop has happened and it makes sense to me.
I'm sure it'll get back up there again in a month or two once everyone updates their apps. (except the froyo users of course).
Thanks again
Much appreciated

Sam