Android SDK 6.4.1 bug with Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 v2

rei...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2014, 3:08:02 AM3/10/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
A friend of mine was testing my game with her Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 v2 (P5100 model).

We first tested my game on her work where she can't access the WiFi, and the game did (obviously) not show any ads. But when closing the game, it would not close at all but remain in memory with only 0Mb used. The game had to be closed from Settings -> Apps by force. I thought it had something to do with no WiFi connection at her work, so she decided to try it at home. The next day she told me that at home the game didn't show any ads though she did have WiFi available. When she tried to exit the game, it had the same behavior as it had the day before on her work location.

For testing purposes she lent me her Galaxy Tab so I could hunt this one down at home. Oddly enough, I had a similar behavior on my WiFi, but not all the time. At times AdMobs would pickup the ads from the internet. Like at her home, when no ad was shown and upon closing my game when no ad was shown, it would hang and I had to close it with force from Settings -> Apps.

After downgrading the Android SDK 6.4.1 to 6.3.0 for my game I gave it an other run. This time ads are shown every time I'm using the Galaxy Tab and closing down goes without a problem. When disabling WiFi, no ads are displayed (duhuh ^^) and closing down my game works normally.

I think there's something wrong with either the plugin I'm using (AdMobs Android for Unity), or with the SDK running with Unity. But it's clear I'll stick with 6.3.0 for now ;-)

Eric Leichtenschlag

Mar 10, 2014, 9:24:02 PM3/10/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
The 6.4.1 SDK did reportedly have issues with Android Not Responding errors - perhaps that is what you were seeing. These are fixed in the latest Google Play services version of our library.

DemiGoth

Mar 11, 2014, 4:36:55 AM3/11/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Downloaded and installed the Google Play services. What's next? Replace the GoogleAdMobAdsSdk-6.4.1.jar with google-play-services.jar and recompile my game? Do I need to make changes to the AndroidManifest.xml as well?

--

---

Eric Leichtenschlag

Mar 12, 2014, 1:08:23 PM3/12/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
The Google Play services library has significant API changes. They are similar but have different naming conventions. A good place to start is the migration guide, but for additional reference there is also the Google Play services documentation starting here and there are also online API Reference docs for Google Play services APIs.

Eric
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to google-admob-ads-sdk+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

DemiGoth

Mar 12, 2014, 2:44:37 PM3/12/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
For Unity there was a special plugin for AdMobs. Will/is there br one for the play store as well?

Eric Leichtenschlag