Optimize initialization and ad loading questions

Rey Balating

Mar 2, 2023, 3:36:00 AM3/2/23
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
We think Optimize initialization and ad loading can help us prevent ANRs if we implement it to our Android app.

We'd like to implement it as soon as possible but since it's still in beta, we're concerned about its caveats. What are they? And for those who have implemented it, have you seen any effects to ad performance or ad revenue?

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Mar 2, 2023, 8:40:37 AM3/2/23
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

These optimizations improve the overall responsiveness of ads and help prevent "Application Not Responding" (ANR) errors on your app. We have no reported issues that would affect ad performance or ad revenue. But if any issues occur once you implement this in your app, feel free to reach back to us.

Regards,
Google Logo Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2jIW3f:ref

Rey Balating

Mar 3, 2023, 3:02:53 AM3/3/23
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Okay, that's good to know. We will go ahead and implement this.

Mr Zero

Nov 30, 2023, 11:58:27 AM11/30/23
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
@Rey Balating
Hi, have you applied it to your android app and will it cause a decrease in advertising revenue? I'm also looking forward to using it in my app to reduce ANR and increase app speed. But I don't know what consequences it will have

@Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor
If it doesn't have any impact as you said, why is it still Beta?

Sorry for using google translate

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Dec 1, 2023, 9:01:36 AM12/1/23
to khactr...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to us.

I am unable to provide a scheduled timeline for the availability of this. I would recommend you to please follow our release notes for further updates.

Please reach out to us, if you need any further assistance.

This message is in relation to case "ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02jIW3f:ref"

Thanks,

Google Logo Mobile Ads SDK Team

Deepak srivastava

Jan 29, 2024, 5:52:08 AMJan 29
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi All,

I believe its about the optimize initialization(https://developers.google.com/ad-manager/mobile-ads-sdk/android/optimize-initialization) . I am trying to find the same configuration for iOS but unable to locate the document. Can someone from you can help me with the same.

Thanks

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Jan 29, 2024, 6:42:46 PMJan 29
to deepak.sriv...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for contacting Mobile Ads SDK support team.

unfortunately, there isn't any equivalent feature available for IOS now. keep checking Release notes for any updates regarding this feature.

Tomáš Kuba

5:18 AM (2 hours ago) 5:18 AM
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi all, I am following this article and I try to implement the optimalization. The article states that there are two flags: OPTIMIZE_INITIALIZATION and OPTIMIZE_AD_LOADING. In case I do not want to call MobileAds.initialize() in a new Thread, I can use OPTIMIZE_INITIALIZATION. But what about OPTIMIZE_AD_LOADING? Do I need to call it also in case when I call MobileAds.initialize() in the new thread?

The reason I ask is because I noticed that when I set OPTIMIZE_AD_LOADING to TRUE, before the ad loads, the activity layout jumps few pixels up and down. I would like to avoid that, therefore my question is if calling MobileAds.initialize() in the new thread only solves that ANRs you mentioned, or if I need to call OPTIMIZE_AD_LOADING as well.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

7:21 AM (14 minutes ago) 7:21 AM
to tomas....@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for contacting us.

As per your query you would like to initialize the SDK on main thread instead of initializing on a back ground thread. By applying the optimization flags some of the initialization tasks are moved to background thread similarly OPTIMIZE_AD_LOADING flag can be useful in optimizing the ad loading tasks and events related to ad loading process, We recommend you to enable this FLAG if you initialize the SDK on main thread.

Kindly share a video recording of your observation when FLAG's has been set and not set scenarios.

If the file(s) you are looking to share are less than 25mb in total you can attach them to this case on your next reply. If you are having trouble attaching your file to this case or if your file(s) are larger than 25mb, you can share your files with me by performing the following steps:

1. Navigate to

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfkAiXMeYP-fw1W3Z-tT9uwmATEKO5X6S-th0gR2ezdKaaqfg/viewform?usp=pp_url&entry.400550049=Mobile+Ads+SDK&entry.460850823=5004Q00002jIW3fQAG&entry.80707362=00169341

2. Fill out all fields, and attach your file(s).

3. Please reply back on this thread when you have uploaded your file(s). Please do not share this link.

This message is in relation to case "ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02jIW3f:ref" (ADR-00169341)

Thanks,

Google Logo Mobile Ads SDK Team

Tomáš Kuba

7:27 AM (8 minutes ago) 7:27 AM
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Thank you. But let me clarify my question.

In case I initialize ads on background thread, do I need to set OPTIMIZE_AD_LOADING to true?

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

7:30 AM (5 minutes ago) 7:30 AM
to tomas....@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you are initializing the SDK on a background thread you don't need to enable this flag.