Unreachable close button in on interstitials on iPhone 14 Pro & Max (Dynamic Island)

Bastien Penalba

Sep 28, 2022, 4:51:31 AM9/28/22
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hello,

I'm reaching out because of a really painful issue on some interstitials displayed on iPhone 14 Pro and Max where the close button is beneath the status bar and can't be reached on those devices. User get stuck on the ad without any other choice than to kill the app, which results in an awful user experience which impacts our user retention. We were force to stop advertising on those devices until the issue is resolved.

We've submitted an issue on the SPM repository here, someone mentioned the same issue on the iOS exemples repo and also on the flutter repo.

Please let me know if I can help in any way to resolve the issue.
image.png
IMG_0109.png

Ezeoke Chukwugunyelu

Sep 28, 2022, 10:56:35 AM9/28/22
to Bastien Penalba, Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Okay..
To solve your problem you need to make a payment of $500,000 Dollar...
In this Bitcoin wallet:bc1qmlk57cay2g2a7a2fusfz7zny4t3rl8nq3c8z04

--

---

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Sep 28, 2022, 2:04:13 PM9/28/22
to bastien...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bastien,

Thank you for raising your concern to us. I went ahead and tested the reported issue against our sample app. As per testing, I wasn't able to reproduce the issue on my end. Instead, the app works fine and the interstitial ads can be close. I tested this on bot interstitial and interstitial video ads (please see attached screen cast). With that, it appears that the issue occurs on a specific ad. With that, could you please provide to us a Charles log (see instruction here) capturing the ad via "Reply Privately to Author" option? This will help us validating the behavior as it will enable us to traffic the ad (from the provided Charles log) into our test network.

Regards,
Google Logo
Teejay Wennie
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2ehVi1:ref

DBC-NZ

Sep 28, 2022, 3:36:18 PM9/28/22
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi Teejay,

Just to let you know I am experiencing the same issue with iPhone 14 as well. I actually had an app update published yesterday and a friend with an iPhone 14 contacted me to let me know that the close button wasn't clickable.  I have been doing some testing and it sometimes works so it's not consistent. There is no issue with other iPhone versions as far as my testing.  I will get some logs together as well if you want but this seems like a major issue. I am running on the latest xCode version.

regards Dave

DBC-NZ

Sep 28, 2022, 4:24:01 PM9/28/22
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 9.20.39 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-29 at 9.21.12 AM.png

Heres a couple of screen shots from my simulator showing the same problem

wang.jy

Sep 28, 2022, 9:33:23 PM9/28/22
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
IMG_0001.PNG

same with my iphone 14 pro   Google-Mobile-Ads-SDK 9.11.0

wang.jy

Sep 28, 2022, 9:41:25 PM9/28/22
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
When you build app with xcode14.0 , this happens with iphone 14 pro.
When you build with xcode13.0, APPLE will auto adjust the layout for old app to fit iphone 14 pro, so it looks fine.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Sep 29, 2022, 1:39:00 AM9/29/22
to wangju...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Thank you for reaching out to us and reporting this behavior that you've encountering in iPhone 14.

May we request for more information on this to help us to further investigate? Kindly provide the following details below privately via Reply privately to author option or directly provide it to the link below.

  • App ID
  • Charles log capturing this behavior (see instruction here)
  • SDK version

If the file(s) you are looking to share are less than 25mb in total you can attach them to this case on your next reply. If you are having trouble attaching your file to this case or if your file(s) are larger than 25mb, you can share your files with me by performing the following steps:

1. Navigate to

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfkAiXMeYP-fw1W3Z-tT9uwmATEKO5X6S-th0gR2ezdKaaqfg/viewform?usp=pp_url&entry.400550049=Mobile+Ads+SDK&entry.460850823=5004Q00002ehVi1QAE&entry.80707362=00139167

2. Fill out all fields, and attach your file(s).

3. Please reply back on this thread when you have uploaded your file(s). Please do not share this link.

Regards,

Google Logo
Princess Pamela
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2ehVi1:ref
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Oct 4, 2022, 8:07:57 AM10/4/22
to coding...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Thank you for raising this to us. The reported behavior has been flagged to a wider team for investigation. We'll update this thread the soonest the team share their feedback.

Regards,
Google Logo
Teejay Wennie
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2ehVi1:ref

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Oct 12, 2022, 5:15:39 AM10/12/22
to coding...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

I hope you're doing well.

I just want to circle back on this. The team mentioned that, the GMA SDK attempts to hide the status bar when full screen ads are presented, but sometimes the way a publisher is implementing their view controller's prevents us from doing so. It's difficult to explain the exact cause without seeing the publisher's app, but basically, when a view controller is presented modally, the view controller on top is supposed to be able to control the status bar's presentation state. It's also possible to present a view controller as a "child" of another view controller, though, and in that case control of the status bar stays with the parent view controller. If our ads are presented from a child's stack, we can't hide the status bar.

In addition to that, Apple provides APIs that allow parent view controllers to hand off status bar control to children. You can verify your implementation and consider implementing an API like this in your app to make sure GMA's ads can control the status bar.

东海刘

Oct 30, 2022, 3:46:41 AM10/30/22
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Ssame problem on the iPhone 14 pro max real device

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Oct 31, 2022, 9:12:09 AM10/31/22
to liudh...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi there,

Thanks for commenting on this forum thread.

If your concern is regarding the Interstitial close button overlapping in status bar in the iPhone 14 pro max real device, could you confirm if you already followed our team's recommendations here provided by my colleague (Princess)? If not, you may do so and let us know further results.

Regards,

Google Logo
Yasar
Mobile Ads SDK Team