iOS Mobile SDK 6.12.0 Incorrect size ad returned

ash...@stitcher.com

Oct 1, 2014, 3:42:03 PM10/1/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
This is a new issue with Google Mobile Ads SDK (iOS) 6.12.0.

I have a multi size ad unit in DFP  (can fill either 300x250 or 320x50).

The problem I am seeing is that when DFP determines that we should attempt to fill a 300x250 ad from a waterfall of ad networks, the subsequent request to fill the ad result in the return of 320x50 ad.

It appears that the http request from the SDK to the ad networks does not set the correct size of the ad to be requested (as determined by http response from DFP).

In other words I can see this in the response headers from DFP that we should be requesting a 300x250 ad,
(I am using a debugging proxy server)

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

That is how it should be.  However in the subsequent request to the ad networks, I see this in the http request:

In the case of Millennial:
hsht  50
hswd  320

In the case of AdMob
format  320x50_mb

The Ad-Size appears to be getting lost.

Eric Leichtenschlag

Oct 2, 2014, 9:05:26 PM10/2/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
That's odd. Can you provide an example DFP ad unit that I can use to reproduce the behavior?

Ashley Kayler

Oct 2, 2014, 9:10:33 PM10/2/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com, Todd Pringle
Hello Eric,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The ad unit in question is:

Let me know if I have supplied a sufficient description of the problem.

Ashley

--

---

Eric Leichtenschlag

Oct 3, 2014, 12:54:47 PM10/3/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com, to...@stitcher.com
Hi Ashley,

I was able to reproduce the issue, but I think it's a result of your targeting in DFP.

If I try just requesting a 300x250 with that ad unit, nothing returns. That must mean this ad unit doesn't target any 300x250 line items, or those line items are missing creatives.

If I include multiple ad sizes, I'm essentially requesting EITHER a 300x250 or a 320x50. This ad unit is returning some SDK mediation creative for 320x50. And since the ad size changed, the adSizeDelegate on DFPBannerView will get called if you have one set.

I can confirm the behavior if you can provide the line item ID you're targeting. But my guess is you're seeing this because you're including 320x50 as a possible size in the request, and your SDK mediation creatives associated with the line item you're targeting must all be 320x50.

Thanks,
Eric
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to google-admob-ads-sdk+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Ashley Kayler

Oct 3, 2014, 1:18:41 PM10/3/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com, to...@stitcher.com
Hello Eric,

The targeting is set up to only return a 300x250 ad if the custom parameter, ‘ShowCount’, is 3 or greater.

So unless you include that custom parameter with a value of 3 or greater, you would not get an ad back. (if you were only targeting 300x250 ad size)

So the issue occurs when the ShowCount parameter is 3 (or more), and DFP determines that we should fill this size ad and correctly responds to client with that info.  But then the client requests the wrong size to the ad networks.

Ashley

Ashley Kayler

Oct 3, 2014, 1:37:16 PM10/3/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com, to...@stitcher.com
Hey Eric,

I’m guessing the issue has to do with the timing of the resizing of the GADBannerView?

The scenario is this.
1. We have a GADBannerView of size 320x50. (banner size)
2. We make a request to DFP, for an ad of either the banner or medium rectangle.
3. DFP responds with instructions to the adapters to fill a medium rectangle ad.
4. The adapters disregard, ad size to request, and request a banner size ad.

I am wondering if the adapters (Millennial and AdMob in this case) are getting the ad size from the GADBannerView, rather than the DFP response?

We are using the GADAdSizeDelegate, so we should be able to resize the GADBannerView after the ad is fetched.  That is the way it worked in versions prior to 6.12.0

Ashley

Eric Leichtenschlag

Oct 3, 2014, 5:17:50 PM10/3/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com, to...@stitcher.com
Hi Ashley,

You're right - this is an issue with AdMob when mediating. The server returns a 300x250 mediation response, but AdMob doesn't update the ad size when making the request. I've filed a bug for this.

This appears to have been introduced in 6.11.1, so in the meantime, the easiest workaround is to use an older SDK. Another workaround that may work for your case is to stop using multiple ad sizes, use a 320x50 banner size to start off with, and call [dfpBannerView resize:kGADAdSizeMediumRectangle] to change the ad size, and then load a request again for the 300x250.

Thanks,
Eric

Ashley Kayler

Oct 3, 2014, 6:47:36 PM10/3/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com, to...@stitcher.com
Thanks Eric.

Your suggestion is exactly what we are doing for our next release.

We look forward to the updated SDK with this fixed.

Ashley

fmt

Dec 26, 2014, 10:31:52 AM12/26/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com