Re: Unity iOS - Game rendering freezes after second interstitial ad

Ram Parameswaran (Mobile SDK Team)

Feb 25, 2015, 2:39:38 PM2/25/15
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I was unable to replicate your issue on a 4th gen iPad. Unfortunately I am at a summit this week and don't have access to older iPad hardware. I will be back in Mountain View next week and can test on previous gen iPads at that time.

- Ram

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 9:40:37 PM UTC-5, gargos15 wrote:
Google Mobile Ads Unity plugin - version 2.1
AdMob iOS SDK - version 7.0
Devices: ONLY on iPad 2 and iPad 3 (from our testing, not on 4s, 5, 6, 6+, iPad mini)
iOS: 8.1.3

We tried this both in our game and with the SDK-included Unity example scene with the same results.

* Load up an interstitial ad, and hit the Home button or click on the ad to bring the app into the background.
* Load up another interstitial ad, and close it normally.
* The game's rendering will be frozen indefinitely, even though user input and sound will continue. The user must terminate the app.

We are trying to submit our game within the week and just came across this issue which pretty much makes us need to pull ad support on iPad 2 and 3.

Please help!

- MarkJ

Fraser Campbell

Apr 22, 2015, 5:19:34 PM4/22/15
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
We have also exactly come across this issue.

We can get around the issue by downgrading to Unity 4.6.1p5, but that ios not really an option for other reasons.

If there is any solution to this forthcoming, we would appreciate it.

Fraser Campbell

Apr 22, 2015, 6:13:41 PM4/22/15
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Ram Parameswaran (Mobile SDK Team)

Apr 23, 2015, 6:49:48 PM4/23/15
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I have tried to reproduce this issue using the following:

iPad 2 running iOS 8.3
Google Mobile Ads iOS SDK 7.0.0
Unity 5.0 Project

and am unable to. Is this issue reproducible using our sample project linked here?

- Ram

Петр Боднарь

Apr 29, 2015, 12:06:35 PM4/29/15
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Google Mobile Ads Unity plugin - version 2.2.1
AdMob iOS SDK - version 7.0.0

We have similiar issue.
We cannot reproduce it reliably, but it occurs frequently.

game screen freezes after loading interstitial (video)
Then nothing happens.

Also, we see huge memory growth each time when we load and destroy ad (may be this related to freeze?).
I inspect our C# code, and I think its fine. So it looks like a plugin issue. I will open another thread on this later.

Ram Parameswaran (Mobile SDK Team)

Apr 29, 2015, 1:50:07 PM4/29/15
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Can you elaborate on this huge memory growth you are seeing? Repeatedly loading and destroying interstitials on our sample application linked here does not reveal any memory leaks.

- Ram

Петр Боднарь

Apr 30, 2015, 3:29:07 AM4/30/15
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I will elaborate it today.
Also, I found in source code of IOSInterstitialClient.cs that there is no GCHandle.Free for GCHandle.Alloc(this).
I think instance of IOSInterstitialClient.cs will never be garbage collected. May be I'm wrong.

Петр Боднарь

Apr 30, 2015, 4:25:48 AM4/30/15
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
In your example I see same big memory growth.
This is not leaks. (Leaks  instrument not show them).
I profile with  Allocations & VM Tracker instruments from Xcode 6.3.1 Instruments.
On first Request Interstitial I see the huge memory growth. I think its may be ok, if /interstitial has WebView inside it.
Pressing Destroy Interstitial do nothing.
Next Request Interstitial increases applications memory, and Destroy Interstitials do nothing.
One time i see that Destroy Interstitial frees some amount of memory, but this occurs only one time from ~ 30 times.
After several Requests-Destroys application begin to receive memory warnings, and after that it closes.

Петр Боднарь

Apr 30, 2015, 4:30:27 AM4/30/15
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Unity 4.6.4p2,  Xcode 6.3.1
GoogleAdMob SDK 7.1.0,   latest GoogleAdMob Unity Plugin from GitHub.
iPhone 6+,  iOS 8.3
my unit id is a video

Ram Parameswaran (Mobile SDK Team)

May 1, 2015, 2:27:04 PM5/1/15
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Using the Allocations instrument, you should see an increase in memory usage for the first few interstitials after which memory usage should stabilize. This is a by product of our internal performance optimizations for interstitials. Currently the destroy method for interstitials is a stub method and memory clean up is done internally.

- Ram
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

oleksandr...@solverlabs.com

Apr 11, 2016, 3:52:46 AM4/11/16
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Have you managed to fix the problem? What was the issue?