Black screen suddenly appears

Alex

Jun 15, 2020, 3:05:23 PM6/15/20
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi,

For several years already my projects have such issue: application loads and in several minutes or 1 minute the screen goes black. The sound of the app still exist, but the screen is black. At that time there is only admob banner presented or being presented. Several users told that sometimes reload the app from start helps to get rid of the issue. Maybe till some specific ad will be presented.

No other SDKs can be used to get the issue, just specific phones (Huawei at most) and specific ad I think. No Charles logs, no steps to reproduce, that's why I think the issue still exist. But many tests on these type of devices and OS from 4 till 8 should give the team a start point.

From the information I found in the internet I understand that the issue coming from the year 2015 and many Admob SDKs are involved. Also many game engines have the same issue. The issue can be connected with the banner getting wrong screen size.

In my case I have
Unity 2018.4.12f1
Admob Unity plugin 5.1.0

But! I tested many more versions of Unity starting from Unity 2017 till the last Unity 2018.4.21f1. And several years of different Admob plugins. There is always number of devices with such issue.

Regards

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Jun 15, 2020, 4:07:52 PM6/15/20
to mrsh...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Thank you for bringing this issue of a blank screen on some devices with many SDK versions using Unity to our attention. The possibility is that a creative is causing this. In order for us to investigate this further we will need a Charles log around this behavior. For Android version 25 API (Nougat 7.1.1) and higher a permission is needed to allow for SSL Proxying. There is a Unitypackage that sets you up for easy ssl proxying with Charles here - https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002917683-Using-Charles-Proxy-with-Unity (look to the bottom of page for package). It would be most helpful if you can produce a bare bones app based on our sample app with minimum extra code necessary to reliably replicate this issue.

You may zip the entire Unity project (excluding the Library and Temp folders) in order to reduce its size, then send it to me via a shareable link from your Google Drive (or on any other file-sharing site that you prefer). Don't forget to send the shareable link, Charles log and list of phones affected via Reply privately to author.

The more devices you can find out this behavior is happening on the better. Please note that diagnosing apps that misbehave can be easy to solve or extremely difficult to solve and most of the difficulty consists of finding a way to reliably reproduce the behavior. What we can't study we usually can't fix. Also note that when we receive a verifiably misbehaving app that's caused by our SDK we will make every effort to fix the issue.

Kind regards,
Aryeh Baker
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q20Z44Y:ref