Animating interstitial ads

Filip Krstevski

Dec 2, 2015, 10:40:53 PM12/2/15
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hello,

I am trying to make my interstitial ads animate up and down, when they get displayed/closed. I have it working however when you close the ad, it turns black and then animates off the screen, I've implemented them on iOS and I am not seeing the same issue on iOS.

How do I not make the ads turn black before they animate off the screen?

Thanks,
Filip

Vu Chau (MobileAds SDK Team)

Dec 3, 2015, 11:38:11 AM12/3/15
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi Filip,

Currently, implementing animations with interstitial ads isn't possible with the Mobile Ads SDK.  At least it is not possible at the developer level, meaning animations lie within the realm of the advertisers, not publishers.  You can animate banner ads, however, just as you would animate other views in iOS.  See Animations for details.

Vu Chau
Mobile Ads SDK Team

Filip Krstevski

Dec 3, 2015, 11:49:40 AM12/3/15
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi Vu, thanks for the reply.

I was able to make the Interstitial ad animate on by adding a new theme and using that in my Manifest file for the Interstitial activity:

<activity

android:name="com.google.android.gms.ads.AdActivity"

android:theme="@style/MyInterstitialTheme"

tools:replace="android:theme"

android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden|orientation|screenLayout|uiMode|screenSize|smallestScreenSize"/>

The only problem is when the ad gets closed, it turns black before it animates down and off the screen. This is not seen on iOS.

Thanks,
Filip

Vu Chau (MobileAds SDK Team)

Dec 3, 2015, 5:17:21 PM12/3/15
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi Filip,

Thanks for the details.  While it really comes down to how the individual user is supplying custom logic for the animation, the SDK doesn't officially support this use case, so I won't be able to provide further recommendations.  You might want to look into where specifically in the interstitial's lifecycle you are calling your animation logic.  The fact that the interstitial turns black before it animates down might mean the animation occurs after the interstitial has received the call to dismiss.

Cheers,

Vu Chau
Mobile Ads SDK Team