Request v Impressions & Wrong Fill Rate

BenM

Mar 27, 2014, 8:13:01 PM3/27/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

In my admob admin console I seem to be getting wrong fill rate calculations. This is consistently wrong.
Here is an example of the last 7 days.
Requests 63,857
Impressions 54,968
Fill Rate 99.96% <<<--------

If I calculate the fill rate based on 54,968 / 63,857 = 86% fill rate.

Am I misunderstanding something here?

I am trying to set up a house ad to be shown when there is no fill supplied, but it is not working so far, so I thought I had better check, in case it is actually getting near 100% fill rate.

What do you think people?

Regards,
Ben

Eric Leichtenschlag

Mar 28, 2014, 6:37:20 PM3/28/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Are you using interstitial ads in your app? Interstitial ads have changed to use delayed impression counting. If you never show the interstitial, an impression is no longer recorded. But you did receive the ad, so it counts positively towards your fill rate.

Thanks,
Eric

Robert Richardson

Mar 28, 2014, 6:40:15 PM3/28/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

I just updated my SDK and now I can't find the google-play-services_lib.

Please get back to me on this.

Thanks,

Bob

--

---

Robert Richardson

Mar 28, 2014, 7:00:03 PM3/28/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I found it

BenM

Mar 30, 2014, 11:43:36 PM3/30/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

Yes, I am using interstitial ads exclusively. As far as I know we show every ad that we request and receive though, but it is using a code library, so it is possible that the code library is deciding not to show an ad. Can't see the library code to see how it is set up though.

Eric Leichtenschlag

Mar 31, 2014, 3:49:35 PM3/31/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Are you showing the interstitial immediately after you get it? If not, then impressions could definitely be < 100% of requests. Consider a game where you preload the interstitial at the beginning of the level and show it at the end. The user gets to level 5 of your game and then quits your app before finishing. That's 5 requests, 4 interstitials shown so 4 impressions, but 5 interstitials successfully received. So this would be 100% fill rate even though you only showed 4 of 5.

Thanks,
Eric

BenM

Mar 31, 2014, 9:16:52 PM3/31/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the responses.

The code library that we are using does not have a preload function. Basically you have hooks to initialise admob, show an ad, hide an ad, which is done when a user presses the close button [x] on the ad. So, as far as I can say, we load and display immediately using the Show function.

Eric Leichtenschlag

Apr 1, 2014, 9:46:48 PM4/1/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
14% difference sounds like a lot if you're showing it immediately, but I still think that's the difference in the impressions.

Thanks,
Eric