UMP User Messaging Platform not useful at all

Daniel K

Feb 11, 2021, 9:39:55 AM2/11/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hello, I tried implementing the UMP and I had to find out that when a user declines there will be no ads shown at all.
This cannot be in the interest of us and of google.
So please make it possible to edit these consent buttons otherwise this will be completely useless. Maybe this needs to be so because of the IAB, but as I said already this will not work.
And I will not give me users the possibility to get rid of ADs without paying!

Aliza Hour

Feb 11, 2021, 9:49:03 AM2/11/21
to Daniel K, Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Yes Thank you

--

---

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Feb 11, 2021, 10:16:09 AM2/11/21
to houra...@gmail.com, danielv...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel and Aliza,

This is working as intended, in How IAB requirements affect EU consent messages,  it states that the default state of each consent toggle in your EU consent message is set to “no consent,” “no opt-in,” or “off.” If you use Funding Choices as your CMP, this means that users who select “Manage options” in the consent message see that each purpose is set to “Do not consent.” To learn more, visit the IAB Europe’s Appendix B, Policy C(d.

There are currently many CMP vendors besides UMP with Funding Choices that will work with the Mobile Ads SDK and some may have consent detection methods set up, you may want to explore to see which one fits your needs better.

I will relay to the rest of my team your request to have a method of determining consent obtained so that you may implement your own paywall. You may monitor our release notes in iOS and Android for an update.

Regards,

Google Logo
Aryeh Baker
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2CQ1UU:ref

Daniel K

Feb 15, 2021, 4:50:31 AM2/15/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
as stated before, maybe it is as intended,
but not even one developer will use a solution where the customer can deactivate the ads without paying,
I mean do you have stats how many developers are using this??

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Feb 15, 2021, 8:14:19 AM2/15/21
to danielv...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your feedback. Our UMP with funding Choices is being used in production. I relayed your comments that you are asking for a method to detect consent and otherwise our solution doesn't address your needs to the rest of my team.  You may monitor our release notes in iOS and Android for an update.

In the meantime, there are many CMP vendors besides UMP with Funding Choices that will work with the Mobile Ads SDK and some may have consent detection methods set up that may be a solution for you.

tom.h...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2021, 6:26:49 AM4/16/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Aryeh,

I see advice "Don't use UMP, use somebody else's solution" on many places of this forum. I don't get it.

Is that difficult for Google to deliver something that works?

AdMob is your milch-cow so why you don't support developers that help you earn your money?

Advice to watch release notes is ridiculous. There was no update for last 9 months. UMP project seems to be stalled.

I'm quite frustrated from UMP solution.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Apr 16, 2021, 10:09:07 AM4/16/21
to tom.h...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

Thank you for the response back. we understand your frustration with the UMP and want you to know that we have brought this to our team. Please know that the product is still very new, 9 months is still a new product. But that it is constantly being reviewed and talked about in ways to improve it. We will also be certain to pass along your thoughts and feelings to our team.

Regards,
Google Logo
William Pescherine
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2CQ1UU:ref

Tomáš Hubálek

Apr 16, 2021, 10:28:52 AM4/16/21
to Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
So if it is still alpha quality why would you promote it as a recommended solution instead of previous https://developers.google.com/admob/android/eu-consent that was not perfect but somehow worked?

I spent a few non productive days hacking UMP and trying to make it working and decided to fall back to legacy consent as it is working. Not perfect but I can live with that.

Tom

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Apr 16, 2021, 1:14:52 PM4/16/21
to tom.h...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tomas,

Thank you for your feedback, and while I know you might believe the UMP to be in Alpha. It is certainly functioning at a higher capacity than an Alpha would. We have seen your other posts and I will also be sending some feedback in regards to the questions that you have asked.

Also just want to let you know that while legacy consent might work. It will not cover all the requirements of GDPR and could over the long term causes issues. But you are completely allowed to continue to use it if you would like.

tom.h...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2021, 4:11:34 AM4/19/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
What are major issues with GDPR compliance for Legacy Consent?

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Apr 19, 2021, 6:04:28 AM4/19/21
to tom.h...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tomas,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I work with William and will be assisting you. With regard to your concern, as per EU consent policy if you fail to comply with this policy, we may limit or suspend your use of the Google product and/or terminate your agreement.

Regards,

Google Logo
Princess Pamela Pineda
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2CQ1UU:ref

3c

Jun 12, 2023, 4:09:50 PM6/12/23
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Does UMP now allows to detect if user didn't give consent at all, eg no ads ?

Andreas

Jun 13, 2023, 3:39:42 AM6/13/23
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Nothing has changed in the past two years, you still have to work around UMP's shortcomings yourself if you want to use it.

ath...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2023, 3:05:58 AM6/14/23
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
I am also wondering about this. Isn't the consent process's purpose to let the user decide whether he allows his data to be shared with ad networks (in our case) so that he can see personalized ads? If he chooses not to consent (therefore not to share data with 3rd parties), shouldn't he see non-personalized ads? Isn't this the purpose of the consent process? Can someone from Admob answer/comment on this?

Mateusz Maćczak

Jun 14, 2023, 7:26:29 PM6/14/23
to ath...@gmail.com, Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Usuńcie filmik z instagrama z moją osobowością mój wizerunek niech będzie chroniony

--

---

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Jun 15, 2023, 2:08:08 AM6/15/23
to macczak...@gmail.com, ath...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

To answer your inquiries:

@athos66 - Yes, the User Messaging Platform (UMP) SDK gives users the option to opt out or allow personalized ads. If the user does opt out, then they will not be served personalized ads. The default behavior of the Google Mobile Ads SDK is to serve personalized ads until they opt out.

@3c - Yes. The User Messaging Platform (UMP) SDK checks if the user has given consent or not. You may refer to this document for the methods used: https://developers.google.com/admob/android/privacy/api/reference/com/google/android/ump/ConsentInformation. However, if you wish to serve no ads if the user did not give consent, you may also do this using your own implementation. We recommend to you our documents for UMP SDK implementation: https://developers.google.com/admob/android/privacy.

@Andreas - We appreciate your contributions to this forum.

This message is in relation to case "ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2CQ1UU:ref"

Thanks,

Google Logo Mobile Ads SDK Team

Viet Dzung Pham

Jun 20, 2023, 10:26:26 AM6/20/23
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
I try with test ads, when user click "Do not consent" no ads show. The error log : " Ad failed to load : 3".
So what you said are not true, This bug exist three years ago but you are not fix it.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Jun 22, 2023, 2:34:16 AM6/22/23
to dung...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dzung Pham,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

To properly troubleshoot your issue, kindly provide us the following information below:
  • Affected Ad unit IDs
  • App ID