Problems With Interstitial Ads?

Aron Davis

Jun 4, 2014, 2:25:03 PM6/4/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I used the code straight off the website.  In Start() I call:
using GoogleMobileAds.Api;
// Initialize an InterstitialAd.
InterstitialAd interstitial = new InterstitialAd("MY_AD_UNIT_ID");
// Create an empty ad request.
AdRequest request = new AdRequest.Builder().Build();
// Load the interstitial with the request.
interstitial.LoadAd(request);
then in Update() I call:
if (interstitial.IsLoaded()) {
  interstitial.Show();
}
but the ad never shows up.  Any ideas?

Eric Leichtenschlag

Jun 4, 2014, 8:16:52 PM6/4/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
You'll need to include your own ad unit ID in the code instead of "MY_AD_UNIT_ID". The ad unit ID you create should also specifically be for interstitial ads and not banner ads.

You can also listen for ad events to understand why the request might be failing:

interstitial.AdLoaded += HandleAdLoaded;
interstitial.AdFailedToLoad += HandleAdFailedToLoad;

public void HandleAdLoaded(object sender, EventArgs args)
{

print("HandleAdLoaded event received.");

// Handle the ad loaded event.
}

public void HandleAdFailedToLoad(object sender, AdFailedToLoadEventArgs args)
{

print("Interstitial Failed to load: " + args.Message);

// Handle the ad failed to load event.
};

Thanks,
Eric

Aron Davis

Jun 4, 2014, 8:34:37 PM6/4/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Eric!  I had my own ad unit ID in place, but I think it was because it was for a banner instead of an interstitial.  Thanks for the help!  I'll try it out.

--

---

Aron Davis

Jun 5, 2014, 10:21:35 AM6/5/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Eric, it was the Ad ID being for the wrong type of ad.  Thanks for the help!  Works like a charm now.
Message has been deleted

Aron Davis

Jun 5, 2014, 12:53:22 PM6/5/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
JH: not sure what you're talking about.  My app doesn't crash when this happens.

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM, JH <mag...@gmail.com> wrote:
Unfortunately, probably not. The ad will show but if a user clicks on an interstitial ad, presses the 'back button' your app will crash.  This interstitial bug is widely reported yet AdMob refuses to comment on it.