Is it compulsory to update to new admob ?

Priya Jain

Aug 2, 2014, 3:33:14 AM8/2/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
we wanna know is it compulsory to update our existing published app  to new admob we know google has now stopped accepting new or updated apps using the standalone Google Mobile Ads SDKs v6.4.1 or lower.  After 1 Aug 2014. But our app was published before  1 Aug 2014 so we can continue or we should update.

Kunal Verma

Aug 2, 2014, 5:54:20 AM8/2/14
to Google AdMob Ads Developers
There are two things, why I moved to GPS
1)- Advertising ID. Relevant ads, maybe.
2)- Automatic updates of the SDK to perform bug fixes.

--

---

Eric Leichtenschlag

Aug 3, 2014, 1:54:56 PM8/3/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Updating to the new AdMob is compulsory. If you don't update before the deadline, traffic will stop serving to your legacy ad units, and you'll have to update manually and re-release your apps with new ad units.

Traffic will eventually stop serving to your legacy ad units that aren't linked to new AdMob ad units. When you update, new ad units will be created for you that are linked to legacy AdMob ad units, so existing traffic that references the legacy ad units will effectively use the new ad unit on the backend and will continue to work without re-releasing your apps. If you don't update, your legacy ad units will have no association to a new ad unit ID. And those requests won't serve ads.

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 2:54:20 AM UTC-7, Kunal Verma wrote:
There are two things, why I moved to GPS
1)- Advertising ID. Relevant ads, maybe.
2)- Automatic updates of the SDK to perform bug fixes.

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Priya Jain <prewe...@gmail.com> wrote:
we wanna know is it compulsory to update our existing published app  to new admob we know google has now stopped accepting new or updated apps using the standalone Google Mobile Ads SDKs v6.4.1 or lower.  After 1 Aug 2014. But our app was published before  1 Aug 2014 so we can continue or we should update.

--

---

Tony Chan

Aug 5, 2014, 8:40:34 PM8/5/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I think he's talking about updating to the new GPS Admob SDK vs leaving the already published app alone which uses the old standalone Admob SDK. From what I understand you can simply leave the app alone and ads will continue to serve even though it's using the old standalone Admob SDK correct? It's only when you wish to update the app that you'll need to go ahead and convert to the new GPS Admob SDK as well?

Eric Leichtenschlag

Aug 6, 2014, 5:40:59 PM8/6/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hmm you're probably right Tony.

So there are 2 migrations happening:

1. Update to new AdMob front-end on apps.admob.com by August 31st.
2. Use Google Play services instead of standalone AdMob SDK in app updates after August 1st.

I previously discussed the first upgrade, which is compulsory.

For the second migration, you only need to update to Google Play services the next time you release your app to be compliant with the Google Play policy regarding advertiser ID. If you don't update your app at all, you're still compliant.

Thanks,
Eric