UMP SDK for iOS and Pass Consent Manually to AdMob

Gavin Harwood

Aug 24, 2020, 9:03:48 AM8/24/20
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi,

We have spoken to our account manager an they have advised us to post a conversation here to clarify our queries.

1. Passing Consent to AdMob
In the legacy documentation for "EU Consenthttps://developers.google.com/admob/ios/eu-consent#forward-consent you could implement your own Consent Message and pass 'npa=1' for non-personalized adverts via GADExtras.

Is this functionality still present in the latest SDK 7.64.0 or does AdMob require everyone to move over to IAB consent strings, whether it be via Funding Choices or an alternative CMP?

2. Funding Choices UMP SDK (Possible Bug in documentation)
While testing the UMP SDK we were unable to see a "Consent Dialog".  When looking at the sample code https://developers.google.com/admob/ump/ios/quick-start#request_the_latest_consent_information we noticed that the 'tagForUnderAgeOfConsent' parameter was being set to @NO.  This did not cause a compiler error or warning in XCode but did set the boolean to TRUE all the time.  We had to remove the @ character to get the consent message to appear on a device.

3. Funding Choices UMP Consent Message localizations
If we were to use Funding Choices for our Consent Platform, how can we set up localized messages?

We managed to create an English, French and German message, but it would seem that only one can be published at any one time.  Our Apps have English, French, German, Italian and Spanish built in, but it seems that Funding Choices only accommodates a single locale to be active.

Our primary stumbling block is question 1 above.  If the boolean consent is still available then we can continue to use our own localized consent message for EEA GDPR.  If an IAB consent string is mandatory then we will need to use Funding Choices, but the localizations will be a problem.

Best regards,

Gavin Harwood
iWare Designs Ltd.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Aug 24, 2020, 11:11:25 AM8/24/20
to ga...@iwaredesigns.co.uk, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gavin,

Thank you for bringing your list to the Mobile Ads SDK Forum. You have indeed come to the right place. I will use your numbering system to reply.
  1. The legacy "Passing of consent" through npa=1 will be honored by our SDK until further notice.
  2. I tested the difference between @NO and NO and you are correct - thank you. I raised this with my team. You should see the correction reflected at the link you sent me.
  3. Support for multiple languages has been brought up and I added your suggestion too. We are reviewing this request. You may want to monitor our guide and/or release notes for an update.
Wether the IAB consent string is mandatory or not is beyond our scope to answer, for we can only support implementing the SDK into apps. You may want to check this page from the AdMob Forum about EEU policy:
Regards,
Google Logo
Aryeh Baker
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q23u9yM:ref

Gavin Harwood

Aug 24, 2020, 11:20:23 AM8/24/20
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi Aryeh,

Thanks for the quick response.

For now we will continue using our own Consent Mechanism with npa=1 with the plan to move over to Funding Choices and the IAB Consent String as an when localized Consent Messages become available.

From a GDPR perspective I would imagine we cannot ask for consent in English across the EEA member states, so a localized version may be essential for it to be useful for developers.

Again, thank you for the clarification.

Best regards,

Gavin Harwood
iWare Designs Ltd.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Aug 24, 2020, 11:36:09 AM8/24/20
to ga...@iwaredesigns.co.uk, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gavin,

Thank you for more insight into the necessity of the Funding Choices Consent Screen support multiple languages for use across the EU. I passed that along to the rest of my team. We are reviewing this request. You may want to monitor our guide and/or release notes for an update.

Gavin Harwood

Aug 24, 2020, 12:53:17 PM8/24/20
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi Aryeh,

We do have one more question about the UMP SDK.

Is there a way of retrieving the IAB consent string from "Funding Choices" in iOS and Android so that it can be passed onto mediation partners if they support it.

I believe it is stored locally on the device, I just wondered where.

I have not been able to find any documentation online for this, but I am sure that I read it somewhere a few months ago.

Best Regards,

Gavin Harwood
iWare Designs Ltd.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Aug 24, 2020, 1:45:50 PM8/24/20

The documentation for where the TCF strings are stored and how to access them is here -https://github.com/InteractiveAdvertisingBureau/GDPR-Transparency-and-Consent-Framework/blob/master/TCFv2/IAB%20Tech%20Lab%20-%20CMP%20API%20v2.md#how-do-third-party-sdks-vendors-access-the-consent-information-in-app. It's in Shared Preferences in Android and in NSUserDefaults in iOS.