ads still refreshing after activity destroyed

Laurence Werner

Mar 20, 2014, 10:31:31 AM3/20/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com

With:

Google Play Services lib revision 15

SDK tools 22.6.1

SDK platform tools 19.0.1

Android Developer Tools 22.0.5.v201307292155--757759 com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.package.product null

___________________________________

Pretty straightforward problem:

When app is destroyed, I still see messages pertaining to ads in the logcat:

ads   Scheduling ad refresh 60000 ms from now.
ads   ad is not visible, not refreshing ad.

Is this normal? And if not, how do you prevent this from happening?

/e

I have tried making the adRequest = null and adview.destroy() in onDestroy();

I have also tested that onDestroy() is indeed called by including a Log.e(.....) entry in onDestroy().

Note: Although all the ads work fine in every way, I am also getting the every so popular message: (I say popular because I've noticed quite a few threads with a fairly large amount of views and interactions on StackOverflow about this message)

03-20 09:28:59.308: E/GooglePlayServicesUtil(16270): The Google Play services resources were not found. Check your project configuration to ensure that the resources are included.

This message only appears when the activity is actually running, and the ads are visible (I never get this message AND the ad not visible message together).

(Perhaps this second error is related in some way to the refresh message).

Eric Leichtenschlag

Mar 20, 2014, 1:17:58 PM3/20/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I'm surprised you still see this message if your app is destroyed and removed. If it is just placed into the background, the refresh timer still continues to fire, but the ad request is aborted immediately because the ad isn't visible, so no request to the server is actually being made. What happens if you try setting adView = nulll after adView.destroy()?

The error log on Google Play resources not being found is a benign error log, and is unrelated to this issue.

Thanks,
Eric

Laurence Werner

Mar 21, 2014, 9:28:49 AM3/21/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Adding that adView = null after adView.destroy() seems to have fixed the issue.
Thanks Eric

--

---