Rogue ads suddenly take over the whole screen

chri...@norapps.no

Dec 9, 2022, 4:57:51 AM12/9/22
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi,

We have only mrec and banner ads in our app. From time to time we get "rogue" ads in our app that does weird things and now we seem to have an ad that manages tro trigger a fullscreen video player with no user-interaction. We have millions of users so we're confident that it isn't a widespread issue. We only have the Google AdMob SDK included so is there any way to prevent this from happening? It's on iOS with version 9.11.0.

I see the ad is missing the ad choices icon so I'm assuming it's one of the mediated ad networks that inserts it but any idea how we can identify which one? And shouldn't the SDK prevent this from being possible?
Video (16).mov
rogue ad.png

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Dec 9, 2022, 2:08:19 PM12/9/22
to chri...@norapps.no, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Thank you for reporting this to us. Please do note that the SDK just requests an ad to the ad-server and don't have any control on what at it will received. For us to investigate the reported behavior, could you please provide to us a Charles log (see instruction here) capturing the ad request? Kindly provide it to us via reply privately to author option.

Regards,
Google Logo
Teejay Wennie
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2h1BE0:ref

chri...@norapps.no

Dec 10, 2022, 8:05:50 AM12/10/22
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi,

Thanks. I was hoping that the SDK could somehow detect ads trying to play videos full-screen and stop them as it's practically impossible for us to track down. This user was in the US and sees the ad from time to time but we've never seen it ourselves. I know iOS defaults to playing video fullscreen if you don't add "playsinline" to the video element in the HTML so obviously this ad has a bug but when we don't know the ad network then it's pretty much impossible for us to track down. I tried finding it in the AdMob policy center but I'm guessing mediated ads are not shown there.

- Christer

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Dec 12, 2022, 1:16:06 AM12/12/22
to chri...@norapps.no, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hello Christer,

Michael here and I work along with Teejay.

Moving forward to your concern, would you be able to provide to us a Charles log (guide here) capturing the ad request? This is needed for our team to reproduce the same behavior you are reporting and for further investigation on our end.

Regards,

Google Logo
Michael Angelo
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2h1BE0:ref

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor

Dec 12, 2022, 1:17:40 AM12/12/22
to chri...@norapps.no, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hello Christer,

In addition to my last response, please provide the requested details privately via "Reply To Author" button.