My app is crashing on [GADBannerWebViewDelegate webViewDidFinishLoad:]

cs...@tagged.com

Jan 24, 2014, 3:00:08 AM1/24/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
My iOS app is using GoogleAdMobAdsSdk 6.7.0 to retrieve the ads from AdMob. In our recent released version, we are getting the ads from AdMob ad network mediation. Recently we are getting hundreds of crash reports happening on GoogleAd SDK. Attached is the crash log
crash_report.txt

Eric Leichtenschlag

Jan 27, 2014, 7:20:45 PM1/27/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

This crash may occur if your bannerView.delegate is pointing to an object that has been deallocated. How are you setting your delegate? And are you nilling it out when your view controller is deallocated?

Thanks,
Eric

cs...@tagged.com

Jan 27, 2014, 8:10:50 PM1/27/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm setting the bannerView.delegate to my view controller. I didn't nil the bannerView.delegate out when my view controller is deallocated. I think the delegate should be a weak property so do I need to nil it out explicitly?

Also, I couldn't reproduce this crash by deallocating the view controller before the ads completes loading. I just collected the crash reports from our app users. So it looks that this problem is not always reproducable.

Thanks,

Chenglei

Eric Leichtenschlag

Jan 29, 2014, 7:21:31 PM1/29/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hey Chenglei,

The SDK still supports iOS 4.3 and as such doesn't use ARC yet. From GADBannerView.h, the delegate property is set as assign, so it's still holding onto a memory address that has been deallocated. So you should explicitly nil it out in dealloc.

Thanks,
Eric

Chenglei Shen

Jan 29, 2014, 8:50:36 PM1/29/14