adDidDismissFullScreenContent delegate not being called after presenting GADInterstitialAd ads

David King

May 4, 2021, 7:18:20 PM5/4/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
I'm using version 8.4.0 of the iOS Google-Mobile-Ads-SDK, and sometimes after an interstitial ad is presented, the adDidDismissFullScreenContent: delegate is sometimes not being called. Does anyone know why this might happen?

I never experienced this problem using version 7 of the SDK, using the now legacy Interstitial Ads SDK.

The sequence of events:
1. The ad is loaded using [GADInterstitialAd loadWithAdUnitID: ..
2. The GADInterstitialAd instance is stored
3. The fullScreenContentDelegate is set
4. The ad is confirmed to be presentable using canPresentFromRootViewController:error:
5. The ad is presented using presentFromRootViewController:
6. The adDidPresentFullScreenContent: delegate is called
7. The ad is closed
8. The adDidDismissFullScreenContent: is NOT called

This is a big problem for my app because I pause the game until the adDidDismissFullScreenContent: delegate is called.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

David King

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

May 4, 2021, 11:37:41 PM5/4/21
to dk...@outland.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi David,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Were you able to try it in our sample interstitial app? I tried checking it in our sample app but I didn't encounter adDidDismissFullScreenContent of not being called. With this, could you please provide the following details so that we can help you to your concern via Reply privately to author option or send it directly to mobileads...@gmail.com?

Regards,

Google Logo
Princess Pamela Pineda
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2GJzhx:ref

David King

May 5, 2021, 2:48:54 PM5/5/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
I discovered the likely cause for the problem. It was possible to load the next ad before the current interstitial ad was closed. This would cause the only strong reference to the delegate object to be removed.

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

May 5, 2021, 5:36:42 PM5/5/21
to dk...@outland.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Thank you for the additional context of the issue that you are facing. With this further research on your part. When you delay the next ad to be requested, is this resolving the issue for you? If this still keeps causing the issue, please pass along the requested information especially a sample app that we can test for implementation.

Regards,
Google Logo
William Pescherine
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2GJzhx:ref

Mark Woollard

May 7, 2021, 2:06:10 AM5/7/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
I've just started working with the SDK and hit this issue. Having read through the thread I can confirm for us ensuring we don't attempt to load a new interstitial until the currently displayed one is dismissed solved the issue. Will this be addressed by either ensuring the delegate reference isn't removed or an error is reported when attempting to load new ad whilst existing ad display?

Thanks
Mark

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

May 7, 2021, 4:13:14 AM5/7/21
to mark.w...@urbanthings.co, google-adm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your response.

It appears that the reported behavior occurs on a specific ad which is interstitial. With this, could you please provide us a Charles log that capturing your request for us to investigate this further in our end. You can send it via Reply privately to author option or send it directly to mobileads...@gmail.com.

Regards,

Google Logo
Princess Pamela Pineda
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2GJzhx:ref

Max

Jun 3, 2021, 9:44:56 AM6/3/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi. I have similar problem. But in my case no one delegate method been called.

GADInterstitialAd
SDK 8.3.0 and 8.5.0

пятница, 7 мая 2021 г. в 12:13:14 UTC+4, mobileadssdkforumadvisor:

Max

Jun 3, 2021, 10:01:32 AM6/3/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Additional info. I see 3 different behaviours:
1. No one delegate method been called.
2. Some delegate methods called but not all.
3. All good.

четверг, 3 июня 2021 г. в 17:44:56 UTC+4, Max:

Mobile Ads SDK Forum Advisor Prod

Jun 3, 2021, 11:42:36 AM6/3/21
to tri...@gmail.com, google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Max,

Thank you for reaching out to us. As we have previously stated with the other user. This would appear to be specific to an ad. If possible can you please get us a Charles log capturing this ad. We will be able to investigate further.

Regards,
Google Logo
William Pescherine
Mobile Ads SDK Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2GJzhx:ref

Zhang Yibin

Jul 9, 2021, 4:08:26 AM7/9/21
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Make sure GADInterstitialAd instance is member variable or property for strong reference and don't set the instance as nil before call adDidDismissFullScreenContent.
For example:
1. interstitial(GADInterstitialAd) is local variable in the GADInterstitialAdLoadCompletionHandler, the variable interstitial will be released after completion callback finished and functions of delegate will not be called.
2. interstitial(GADInterstitialAd) is property of  UIViewController , immediately set interstitial as nil after call "interstitial.present(fromRootViewController: self)", the functions of delegate will not be called(Same reason, the variable will be released before call callback). You can set this property as nil in the adDidDismissFullScreenContent.