U of C Marketplace open to all

Gabriel

Apr 1, 2018, 7:39:03 PM4/1/18
to kaa...@uchicago.edu, Good Neighbors
On my phone, it wasn’t clear this was the message, so I am resending. This is big news!

On Apr 1, 2018, at 5:58 PM, Katie Akin <kaa...@uchicago.edu> wrote:

A new version of Marketplace, the free online classifieds page for Hyde Park and its surrounding neighborhoods, is now live at marketplace.chicagomaroon.com

Marketplace has a fresh new look and unlike the previous version, you will no longer be required to have University of Chicago CNet IDs. Simply log in with your Facebook account to buy and sell items or services.

Posting on Marketplace will continue to be free, unlike traditional classifieds pages.

As with the launch of any service, bugs are expected. We request that users e-mail marke...@chicagomaroon.com if they discover them. Feedback, including feature ideas, is also welcome.

--
* Send messages to: GoodNe...@googlegroups.com

* Archives: http://tinyurl.com/GNmessages

Sid Colton

Apr 1, 2018, 8:48:13 PM4/1/18
to Gabriel Piemonte, kaa...@uchicago.edu, Good Neighbors
Dear Gabriel and All,

I don't want to brag, but I will anyway!   :)

-- In about 1995 I was a co-founder of what was then a Usenet news group, uchi.marketplace
-- I've been writing emailed letters for over a year to various parts of the University to get 'marketplace' back to at least the level of availability it had ... at its beginning!
-- I agree with Gabriel, "This is big news!" .   In fact that is an understatement!  :)
-- Below is one example of the emails I wrote over the last two years on getting "Marketplace" back to a fully functioning resource.  This was to the President of the UChicago Alumni Board, Jeff Schvimer.  If I printed up all the emails I sent and received, it would be a ... small book!  (OK, a pamphlet  :)  )

Happy marketplacing to all!

Yours,
          Sid
==============

From: Sid Colton <s2...@uchicago.edu>
Date: Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 7:11 PM
Subject: Huge "lost" resource in Hyde Park and for UChicago Alumni ... Hi Jeff!
To: Jeff Schvimer <jlsch...@uchicago.edu>

7:15pm Saturday January 7, 2017

Hi Jeff!

I just retired on March 1, 2016 from my full-time staff job as Production Room Manager at SSA (1991-2016) after working for the Library 1975-1991.   I got my BA 16-years late in Behavioral Science from the College in June 1989!  :)

Anyway, uchi.marketplace (Usenet group) and then marketplace.uchicago.edu have been a huge part of Hyde Park since U of C IT people helped set it up about 1996 or so.   It was one resource which generated huge goodwill in Hyde Park for the University, and helped connect current students to alumni in thousands of ways and examples.

Unfortunately, it appears the legal minds of the U of C are more interested in restricting it, and it (marketplace.uchicago.edu) is no longer accessible to U of C alumni, unless the alum is also a students or a benefits-faculty/staff.

It would be a huge "feather in the cap" of the Alumni Association if it can take over marketplace.uchicago.edu and at a minimum extend the allowed users to UChicago alumni.  After alumni are part of Marketplace, it would be great if moderators can allow, for example, unaffilated Hyde Parkers who have used Marketplace over the years, to once again participate.

I, being retired now, and with no obligations other than taking care of my new 4-year old rescue dog Ethel ( :) ) am happy to volunteer to help administer an Alumni-operated marketplace.uchicago.edu.

Can you help me make this happen?

It is great to write to you and see of your success on the Alumni Board web site.

Cheers,

             Sid

             s2...@uchicago.edu

* Send messages to: GoodNe...@googlegroups.com

* Archives: http://tinyurl.com/GNmessages

Marilyn Cavicchia

Apr 1, 2018, 11:18:06 PM4/1/18
to Gabriel Piemonte, kaa...@uchicago.edu, Good Neighbors
What great news! For those of us not affiliated with the university, the closing-off of Marketplace sent a message that may or may not have been intended. I can imagine, too, that students and others wanting to sell things would appreciate a wider audience.

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 6:38 PM, Gabriel <gabriel...@gmail.com> wrote:

* Send messages to: GoodNe...@googlegroups.com

* Archives: http://tinyurl.com/GNmessages

Grace Chan McKibben

Apr 2, 2018, 7:03:22 AM4/2/18
to s220...@gmail.com, Gabriel Piemonte, Good Neighbors, kaa...@uchicago.edu
Sid,

I do remember you starting uchi.marketplace and do want to thank you. I was an early Usenet user back in the late 80’s/early 90’s and started using uchi.marketplace then, and continued using the web-based marketplace.uchicago.edu over the decades.

It is big, indeed, to return the service to serve both the University and the community. Looking at the Maroon version just now, it looks like it only offers an exchange for buying and selling items. The old marketplace also included requesting and offering services such as tutoring, editing, housing, etc. Perhaps that can be included in the future.

Best,
Grace

* Send messages to: GoodNe...@googlegroups.com

* Archives: http://tinyurl.com/GNmessages

* Send messages to: GoodNe...@googlegroups.com

* Archives: http://tinyurl.com/GNmessages

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Marilyn Cavicchia

Apr 2, 2018, 11:41:11 AM4/2/18
to Grace Chan, s220...@gmail.com, Gabriel Piemonte, Good Neighbors, kaa...@uchicago.edu
What I found is that if you look under "categories," there are places for "jobs" and "services," and a bunch of other things. There's nothing posted in them yet, which may be why they don't show up among the many photos on the home page.

* Send messages to: GoodNe...@googlegroups.com

* Archives: http://tinyurl.com/GNmessages

* Send messages to: GoodNe...@googlegroups.com

* Archives: http://tinyurl.com/GNmessages

Sent from Gmail Mobile

--
* Send messages to: GoodNe...@googlegroups.com

* Archives: http://tinyurl.com/GNmessages

Suzanne Allender

Apr 2, 2018, 6:49:33 PM4/2/18
to marilyn....@gmail.com, Grace Chan, Sid Colton, Gabriel Piemonte, Good Neighbors, kaa...@uchicago.edu
As an "unaffiliated" Hyde Parker of many years I am so grateful to see this come back.  I hired students in the past to walk my Golden Doodle, and advertised a room I had available for rent...I think this type of thing was very beneficial to Hyde Park residents and to the students.  Thanks to the powers that be for getting it going again.

sel

Apr 9, 2018, 3:52:32 PM4/9/18
to Good Neighbors

hey there....

i too agree its great! however one must  log in using facebook -- and i've had that turned off, well, since forever just for basic  security reasns -- even before this recent breach. am i being overcautious? can i sign on this site (only) using facebook but block any other access?
do you know what im asking?

im surprised no one else has brought this up?

 dont know if you are the person to ask here.... or if i should post to group.

sel
sarah

* Send messages to: GoodNe...@googlegroups.com

* Archives: http://tinyurl.com/GNmessages

Sid Colton

Apr 9, 2018, 4:43:54 PM4/9/18
to sla...@gmail.com, Good Neighbors
I'm not an expert, but I believe if you set up a new Facebook page for yourself, and don't fill in anything that is not required to set up the page ... there won't be enough information on your new Facebook page to be particularly useful to scammers.

That new page would enable you to use Marketplace.

I would understand that the reason Facebook is required to use Marketplace is:  it prevents people using Marketplace from pretending they are someone they are not ... and thereby helps "secure" Marketplace users from ... scammers.

Yours,
          Sid

Ann Vikstrom

Apr 9, 2018, 5:15:00 PM4/9/18
to Sid Colton, sla...@gmail.com, Good Neighbors
Hi
re: using FB to enter UCMarketplace
I had emailed them, they said they're looking for alternate mechanisms, but it'll take some time.
AV

Jameika Mangum

Apr 9, 2018, 5:48:34 PM4/9/18
to annvi...@gmail.com, Good Neighbors, Sid Colton, sla...@gmail.com