Question about bikes

Cecilia Wang

May 5, 2016, 12:55:23 PM5/5/16
to GoodNe...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I want to ride bikes more with my kids during the spring/summer this year. The weather is still chilly, but at least it is dry now. I have sent an email asking to buy a used bike/trailer and also did some research on new bikes. I realize I am in a totally jungle in bike industry. I understand there are bikes worth thousands of dollars, and those are for professionals. I looked at Target and Walmart bikes, and they are about $100-$300 for Schwinn bikes. Then I shopped Blackstone bicycle shops, I was surprised that news bikes cost around $200-$300. I find it hard to justify spending the same amount of money or even more to buy used bikes. On the other hand, I did buy a cheap bicycle from Walmart for my son a while ago, and he never likes to ride it. I thought I should encourage him more and ride a bike with him. Now I am thinking maybe it is because it is a uncomfortable bike, because it is hard to turn the peddle with my hands.

My questions is: are Target and Walmart really bad that they cost the same, even less than used bikes in bike shops?

I want to be able to go around Hyde Park to pick up my kids from school or go to groceries. From time to time, I also want to ride along the lake with my kids and possibly to ride to downtown to work, maybe,not sure whether I can do it.

I googled online, and found some website saying Target and Walmart don't assemble bikes correctly and make it easy to break. Also, Walmart Schwinn are not really Schwinn. They used the same brand name, but from bad factory from other countries.

Can someone who knows bikes give me some advise on the bikes in Target/Walmart. Will I be better off to buy a more expensive used bike?

Thanks in advance.

--
Cecilia (Jieren) Wang

HdPkBldr

May 5, 2016, 1:21:10 PM5/5/16
to crystal...@gmail.com, GoodNe...@googlegroups.com
As a lifelong near daily rider, I offer the following.

For the most part, big box retailers do not sell good bikes, they pretty much sell cheap and/or bottom of the line throw away bikes priced for the masses, and yes, very unlikely that there are any actual bike mechanics that assemble and set the bikes up and many of the big box bikes are so bad, they cannot be adjusted to function nicely. You are far better off buying bikes from an actual bicycle shop.

For average to medium use riders, once you pass the $300+ price point you will be getting a good quality bike. Most manufacturers such as Trek, Specialized, etc., will offer a similarly outfitted bike at similar price points.
Going with a name brand you can pretty much assure a comparable bike at a given price point. From a riders perspective, there is far more of a ride quality difference between say a $100 and a $400 bike than there is between a $400 and a $4000 bike. If you do not intend to ride distance everyday, don't spend more than $400 initially. If you become a daily distance rider, you will appreciate the bike you get for $1,200. Anything beyond this is a largely a waste of money unless you are a competition racer, serious off-roader, or just want to display that you have money.

Since kids will quickly outgrow a given size bike, this may be good reason to find a good used bike and or a throw-away hand me down. Blackstone Bikes may have some decent bikes for the money. A good quality used bike is a much better purchase than a crappy new one.

Bruce.

--
* Send group messages to: GoodNe...@googlegroups.com

* Hyde Park Calendar: http://tinyurl.com/HydeParkFromNowOn

* Archives: http://tinyurl.com/GNMessages

Richard Farmer

May 5, 2016, 1:29:31 PM5/5/16
to crystal...@gmail.com, GoodNe...@googlegroups.com
This is not entirely an answer to your question, but one option is to buy your bikes at REI.  They have great quality bikes at reasonable prices and are very conscious about safety, proper installation, etc.  The staff in the bike department is knowledgeable and helpful.  I used to buy bikes from other places and now I always go to REI.  It's a great store for all manner of outdoor equipment and if you join as a member you get rebates back at the end of the year.  Here is a link to the local Chicago store website so you can check to see if the price points will work with your budget.  I have no affiliation, just like the store.  Good luck.

Yao

May 5, 2016, 1:31:40 PM5/5/16
to rfa...@chicagobooth.edu, crystal...@gmail.com, GoodNe...@googlegroups.com
There's a little shop at 55th and Everett called Tamago.  Jay, the owner, should be able to give you lots of great tips and help you find an used bike.

Linda Swift

May 5, 2016, 1:59:49 PM5/5/16
to Yao Yao, goodne...@googlegroups.com, crystal...@gmail.com, rfa...@chicagobooth.edu

Try Chris Willard's new bike shop on the west side of Cottage Grove, just north of 43rd. He's very knowledgeable and easy to talk with. I believe it's called Small Shop Cycles.
Linda Swift

Judith Shuldiner

May 5, 2016, 2:08:10 PM5/5/16
to swift...@gmail.com, Yao Yao, goodne...@googlegroups.com, crystal...@gmail.com, rfa...@chicagobooth.edu
Hi
I have two old men's bikes on racks that I left in my old building . If they are still there I am happy to offer one. I have no idea how much repair it would take. They were good when we bought them.
Btw-
Believe it or not, I never learned to ride a bike, though it is on my bucket list!!
 I always thought part of the difficulty was because I am so short and I never had a bike small enough where my toes touched the ground.
Anyone have a girls' bike - ???!! Do you think I should try with training wheels?!

I return to Chicago about May 17, if you  can wait that long.
Please contact me directly to discuss options.
Good luck.
As ever,
Judith
Judith Heineman

Sent from my iPhone

Ann Vikstrom

May 5, 2016, 2:09:24 PM5/5/16
to Linda Swift, Yao Yao, goodneighbors, crystal...@gmail.com, rfa...@chicagobooth.edu
Reminder to Neighbors - grand opening for the shop, 6P tomorrow. Support local small business owners over Walmart any day!
AV

Emily Fong

May 5, 2016, 2:09:29 PM5/5/16
to Yao, rfa...@chicagobooth.edu, crystal...@gmail.com, GoodNe...@googlegroups.com
Also, kids can learn the bike mechanic trade and earn a free bike starting at age 9 at Blackstone Bicycleworks. Depending on how old your son is, he can make his own free bike! :)
That's what I'm planning on having my kids do this summer.
Emily

Sharon Flynn Hollander

May 5, 2016, 6:18:52 PM5/5/16
to swift...@gmail.com, Yao Yao, goodne...@googlegroups.com, crystal...@gmail.com, rfa...@chicagobooth.edu
He is the most knowledgeable person we know on bike repair- and very personable. His prices are super reasonable and he is just an all around wonderful person and business owner.

Sharon Flynn Hollander
The Hollander Group
www.thehollandergroup.net
(202) 270-8772
Download our complimentary eBook: An Aggressive Approach to Nursing Faculty Recruitment: 11 Best Practices

Liz Moyer

May 5, 2016, 6:20:58 PM5/5/16
to Good Neighbors, GoodNe...@googlegroups.com

 I looked at Target and Walmart bikes, and they are about $100-$300 for Schwinn bikes. Then I shopped Blackstone bicycle shops, I was surprised that news bikes cost around $200-$300. I find it hard to justify spending the same amount of money or even more to buy used bikes.

The justification is that the used bikes from Blackstone will be higher quality than the new bikes you buy from a retailer like Target or Walmart. The Blackstone mechanics will have salvaged good parts off more expensive bikes. Old does not mean bad - bikes last a long time if properly cared for.

If you don't like Blackstone, there is also another local, locally-owned store that sells refurbished kids' bikes, Blue City Cycles in Bridgeport. It's a small shop run by local residents; good mechanics who do everything from repairs for high-end racers and to selling modest, reasonably-priced bikes to neighborhood residents. During the pause between when J closed Tati and when he opened Tamago I would go to Blue City as the closest good shop.

Liz

Terrell

May 5, 2016, 6:40:17 PM5/5/16
to sha...@thehollandergroup.net, swift...@gmail.com, Yao Yao, goodne...@googlegroups.com, crystal...@gmail.com, rfa...@chicagobooth.edu
DJ's Bike Dr. 1322 E. 55th st.
David Jones is the owner and mechanic.  He doesn't sell used bikes but he knows just about everything there is to know about them (he's been in the business for over 30 years).

He also could assemble a bike you purchased elsewhere.

Terrell

Happy Connecting. Sent from my Sprint Tablet.
Message has been deleted

Rose

May 5, 2016, 8:57:52 PM5/5/16
to emst...@gmail.com, Yao, rfa...@chicagobooth.edu, crystal...@gmail.com, GoodNe...@googlegroups.com

Sent from Rose's iPad

Mark Dreessen

May 6, 2016, 8:11:12 AM5/6/16
to rosa...@yahoo.com, Good Neighbors
Blackstone Bicycle Works has been mentioned already, but they take bikes that have been stolen and recovered donated by police department(s), or by private individuals, and refurbish them to tip top condition.   It is local recycling on a grand scale and as has been said, they train neighborhood kids in bike repair (and basic physics) under close supervision and run some kind of after school homework program there at the same time.

I have bought at least 5 bikes from them, 2 of them classics = a Raleigh from England and an old Schwinn.

They are a non-profit and deserve not only our patronage, but also a donation if you can.

They even pack the axles with grease which means you can coast for a mile, there is so little rolling friction.   A dream.

That's a labor of love.

Mark Dreessen

Mark Dreessen

May 6, 2016, 8:12:23 AM5/6/16
to crystal...@gmail.com, Good Neighbors

Blackstone Bicycle Works

6100 South Blackstone Ave., Chicago, IL 60637, United States home

Richard Farmer

May 6, 2016, 11:44:05 AM5/6/16
to dree...@yahoo.com, crystal...@gmail.com, Good Neighbors
These guys also donated a few bikes to the children of a Syrian refugee family in town so they deserve credit for that.

Paul Baker

May 6, 2016, 9:49:14 PM5/6/16
to goodne...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Cecilia and everybody.

I would suggest you take your questions to Dave as DJ's Bike Doctor, at
1344 E 55th St, just west of the Bank Financial Building.  He can answer your questions about the bikes you get from Target and Walmart, and, if you find one that you like for a price you like, you can order a bike from him.  He's a local businessman and deserves our support, I think.

I hope that's useful.

God bless.

Paul