Possible ComEd Scam?

pardoq...@comcast.net

May 26, 2016, 4:15:44 PM5/26/16
to goodne...@googlegroups.com
I just received a phone call from someone saying they were from Com Ed and that because the cost of energy had gone down they were going to give us a 30% discount on our Com Ed bill. All I had to do was verify our information. When I said that I wasn't comfortable giving that information out over the phone I was assured that after I gave her our information someone from Security would call me tomorrow to verify everything and then apply the discount. I told her that I would have to discuss this with my husband, who handles such things (true, that), and they could call me back tomorrow.

I kind of assume this is some kind of scam. Has anyone else had such a call?

Cindy

Grace Chan

May 26, 2016, 4:25:27 PM5/26/16
to pardoq...@comcast.net, goodne...@googlegroups.com
That does sound like a scam. I have not heard that ComEd is calling customers to offer discounts. I recommend that you call ComEd yourself to find out if this program is indeed being offered.

Grace

--
* Send group messages to:  GoodNe...@googlegroups.com

* Hyde Park Calendar:  http://tinyurl.com/HydeParkFromNowOn

* Archives:  http://tinyurl.com/GNMessages

Mary Anton

May 26, 2016, 4:33:05 PM5/26/16
to goodne...@googlegroups.com, pardoq...@comcast.net, Mary Anton
Definitely a scam - do not respond; the second call from "Security" will never come. Com Ed, like most other utility companies, will never offer such a deal or ask you to confirm personal information over the phone. If I haven't already hung up, I usually say put the offer in my next billing statement or tell me which department I should ask for when I call the general Comm Ed service number.

Also, the IRS telephone scam is cycling through now. The IRS also does not call you to ask for "unpaid taxes" or confirmation of personal information.

Cheers.

Mary Anton

Kim Hart

May 26, 2016, 4:48:25 PM5/26/16
to pardoq...@comcast.net, goodne...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I also got a call and hung up! Thanks for bringing to group's attention.

Cheers,
Kim

Sent from my iPhone

pardoq...@comcast.net

May 26, 2016, 4:50:51 PM5/26/16
to Mary Anton, Neighbors, Good
I did call ComEd and they confirmed that it was a scam.  Glad this generally cheerful, positive person has a little of the sceptic left in her.

Be aware!

Cindy

May 26, 2016, 5:04:48 PM5/26/16
to pardoq...@comcast.net, Hyde Park Village
This is definitely a scam.  In addition,  some friends of mine say they have been approached by two official looking persons,  "verifying meter number"",  and find later that they have been switched to another company without their knowledge.  They have reported it and transferred account back to Com Ed -- Beware!

Ruth