Preparing gonum/{gonum,plot}@v0.10.0

Sebastien Binet

Aug 12, 2021, 3:23:32 AM8/12/21
to gonum-dev
hi there,

it would seem Go-1.17 is around the corner and slated to be released on
Monday the 16th.

so now is a good time to prepare for Gonum-v0.10.0 and what we want to
tag in.

For gonum/plot, I'd like the following to go in:

- removal of vg/fonts (last user is vg/vgpdf) #696
- removal of io/ioutil.{Read,Write}File #709
- use //go:embed directives #637 (in vg/vgpdf)

anything else?

what about gonum/gonum ?

-s

Dan Kortschak

Aug 12, 2021, 5:52:23 AM8/12/21
to gonu...@googlegroups.com
I can't think of anything else for plot. The ioutil removal can also be
applied to gonum/gonum. I had a look and there aren't any other
versioned TODOs in that repo, so that is probably all there is to do.

There are a couple of small PRs that can get reviewed before then
(marked as v0.10 milestone), one of which is a bug fix and really
should go in. There are two very large PRs that I suspect won't get in
(coloring and equi-canonicalisation), sadly.

Dan

Vladimír Chalupecký

Aug 16, 2021, 5:35:31 PM8/16/21
to gonum-dev
> There are two very large PRs that I suspect won't get in (coloring and equi-canonicalisation), sadly.

If you can wait until next week, then I'll review them after I'm back from vacation.

Vladimir

Dan Kortschak

Aug 16, 2021, 5:49:18 PM8/16/21
to gonu...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2021-08-16 at 14:35 -0700, Vladimír Chalupecký wrote:
> If you can wait until next week, then I'll review them after I'm back
> from vacation.

Thanks, Vladimir. I can wait.

Dan

Sebastien Binet

Aug 27, 2021, 2:58:05 AM8/27/21
to Vladimír Chalupecký, gonum-dev
hi there,

On Mon Aug 16, 2021 at 23:35 CET, Vladimír Chalupecký wrote:
> > There are two very large PRs that I suspect won't get in (coloring and
> equi-canonicalisation), sadly.
>
> If you can wait until next week, then I'll review them after I'm back
> from
> vacation.

where do we stand on this?
(it's no worry, really, but I must do some planning on the Go-HEP side
as I'd like for its next tagged release to pick up the latest Gonum
stack)

cheers,
-s

Dan Kortschak

Aug 27, 2021, 3:13:51 AM8/27/21
to gonu...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2021-08-27 at 08:57 +0200, 'Sebastien Binet' via gonum-dev
wrote:
The minimum is that https://github.com/gonum/gonum/pull/1701 is
reviewed and merged because it is a correctness issue.

This PR is a straightforward correction an off-by-one error in my
implementation and is confirmable from the wikipedia article.

Dan

s...@sbinet.org

Sep 14, 2021, 3:39:51 AM9/14/21
to Vladimír Chalupecký, gonum-dev

it seems https://github.com/gonum/gonum/pull/1701 has been merged.

are there any other roadblock to tag go...@v0.10.0 ? (and pl...@v0.10.0)

I was toying with the idea of also pushing a little blog post about gonum/plot and what happened in there since v0.8.x (especially the API changes _wrt_ fonts)

cheers,
-s

Dan Kortschak

Sep 18, 2021, 12:35:52 AM9/18/21
to gonu...@googlegroups.com
There is a possibility that at least one other of the commits marked
for v0.10.0 could get in. If it can, I'd like to wait. If it won't, we
can make the release.

Dan

Vladimír Chalupecký

Sep 18, 2021, 1:25:22 AM9/18/21
to gonum-dev
> commits marked for v0.10.0

I've just reviewed the only PR marked with v0.10. I think other candidates would be #1615 and #1673. Are there any others? Can you please add the label so that I have a clear overview? Thanks.

I think #1673 will take me some time, it's quite a complex addition.

Dan Kortschak

Sep 18, 2021, 2:39:51 AM9/18/21
to gonu...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2021-09-17 at 22:25 -0700, Vladimír Chalupecký wrote:
> I've just reviewed the only PR marked with v0.10. I think other
> candidates would be #1615 and #1673. Are there any others? Can you
> please add the label so that I have a clear overview? Thanks.
>
> I think #1673 will take me some time, it's quite a complex addition.

Done. Yes, it is. If it's too much, please let me know and we can drop
it until v0.11.

thanks
Dan