Point-Dorset-Reserve-to-get-400K-makeover Will this affect Breaker Bay

alan.geeves

Oct 20, 2011, 11:26:08 PM10/20/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com

thi...@clear.net.nz

Oct 21, 2011, 7:32:41 AM10/21/11
to gonatural
Just saw this myself and was wondering the same thing. I suspect
there should some concern here. I agree with the plan re flora anf
forna, but given the likelyhood of increased visitors, I wonder if
part of the bigger plan...or...objective is to "remove" naturists from
this area?

On Oct 21, 4:26 pm, "alan.geeves" <alan.gee...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> Breaker bay
>
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/5829525/Point-Dorset-Reserv...
>
> Should we worry.

Leo Homes

Oct 21, 2011, 3:29:10 PM10/21/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Personally I don't think the upgrding of the historic sites will affect us much as they are up on the ridge.  I suspect that the track from the Pass of Branda along the ridge will be upgraded and some of the area behind the beach will have planting done but this is unlikely to impact on the use of the beach area.  Ceratinly this press release does not cause me concern.  These changes will not cause a large increase in visitors to the beach (except during any planting working bee).

Leo

Oct 21, 2011, 3:42:25 PM10/21/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we should volunteer to do the planting and chose matagouri (dense and prickly) ongaonga etc along the edge so unsuspecting souls dont look down
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to gonatural+...@googlegroups.com.

Corey Shelton

Oct 21, 2011, 4:15:35 PM10/21/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com

While im not in Wellington. This idea has merits. If The Wellington / lower north island members put in a decent presence then theoretically they can push the fact that Breaker Bay is a popular Nudist beach and that while we are nudists it doesn’t mean that we don’t want to see improvements to the areas we. If the public in general see that we aren’t what they think we are. But in fact normal everyday people who enjoy nude recreation. Then we increase the general acceptance of nude recreation in the area.

Anyway like I said im not in wellington so up to you guys

Rgds

Corey Shelton

Mark Kennedy

Oct 21, 2011, 5:34:17 PM10/21/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
          Thank goodness my favourite beach Otatoka Beach 23ks north of Wanganui is not likely to affected by Developers or have a public reserve surrounding it , Private farmland borders the beach with a public access road to the beach and also a grass carpark/free camping area.
Although I have never been to Breaker Bay, I have heard it is popular with nudists in the Wellington Area.
A concern is if the neighbouring area is to be developed into a reserve it could become an area where stalkers could sit with their binoculars and make life uncomfortable for the nudists enjoying the beach.
What with the locals on Te Hapua Road making life difficult for nudists using Pekapeka Beach and now this development next to Breaker Bay, I only hope it doesn't drive nudist away from these areas.
Just an idea why doesn't the Wellington Free Beach Group lobby the Wellington Council to make Breaker Bay a legal Naturist Beach.
Regards, Mark.

Mark Kennedy

From: skyla...@hotmail.com
To: gona...@googlegroups.com
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 09:15:35 +1300

Joyce Fleming

Oct 21, 2011, 9:46:12 PM10/21/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
I think Mark is right. It would be a good idea for a delegation from FBNZ to confirm with local police that Breaker Bay is already recognised as a naturist or clothing-optional beach..
A few years ago when there were problems in the Chch area we managed to find a sympathetic sergeant from the New Brighton police who worked out a compromise with the city council to agree upon a fair solution. (Live and let live.)
Naturism is gradually becoming more recognised as a reasonable option. Adopt a low-key approach. Carry your FBNZ membership card, brochures and flag for use when necessary or appropriate (eg if talking to police or council, etc).

Joyce

Oliver Hoffmann

Oct 22, 2011, 12:23:45 AM10/22/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Mark wrote:
>>Just an idea why doesn't the Wellington Free Beach Group lobby the Wellington Council to make Breaker Bay a legal Naturist Beach.

This sort of thing always gets to me. My understanding is that
bathing/sunbathing nude on beaches in New Zealand is legal.

Designating a beach, such as Breakers Bay, as a "legal"
Naturist Beach seems to imply to my limited way of thinking
that bathing at other beaches is not legal.

Maybe a hands-off approach is best.

Regards,
Oliver

alan.geeves

Oct 22, 2011, 12:54:01 AM10/22/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
In the past the local constable has stated in the newspapers that we have as much right to the beach as anyone else and that he would welcome our reporting of undesireable behaviour on or near the beach. Dont know if its still the same constable. We have been on the beach on the odd occasion that the police have come along the beach and regularly see the police launch in close but they are more interested in fishermen (the ones with several buckets of shellfish). They dont often come round the beach as its a long walk in boots and body armour on a hot day. Also Breaker Bay is unusual in that although naturists always go through the hole in the rock the textiles use the whole beach so its not uncommon to see clothed groups and unclothed not far apart and it is a very popular Sunday walk for many people. To sit there on a Sunday afternoon 100 or more walkers will go past. There is no issue on the beach but the increased walkers on the tracks that overlook the beach might be an issue. It might however scare off the binocular brigade which would not be a bad thing.
We could ask the council for more water heating though. Pekapeka might be one of the warmest beaches in the country but Breaker bay is one of the coldest.

Joyce Fleming

Oct 22, 2011, 1:28:36 AM10/22/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Alan. That sounds O.K.

Mark Kennedy

Oct 22, 2011, 5:07:42 PM10/22/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oliver,
              Would you sunbathe or swim nude at Oriental Bay or Takapuna Beach a couple of our most popular beaches even if it was legal or not legal in NZ.
By making Breaker Bay an official nude beach if anything makes naturists feel more comfortable about sunbathing or swimming in the nude knowing they can legally go nude at that beach.
Yes I know there are those who will argue that whatever beach you are on but who the hell wants to dragged into court just to argue weather it is legal or not legal to go nude on NZ beaches, its better to err on the side of caution.
Mark.

Mark Kennedy

To: gona...@googlegroups.com
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 17:23:45 +1300

Nick Lowe

Oct 22, 2011, 6:26:01 PM10/22/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Obviously the negative outcome of "LEGAL" nude beaches is beyond some peoples comprehension.

harvey

Oct 22, 2011, 7:05:12 PM10/22/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Could not agree more,

I think it gets down to wether its going to be best to live under a LEGALISTIC type of control or stay with the current cultural/social standards type of contol. Once a legal definition is introduced there goes the law of the land which now offers nudisim a lot of freedom legally and somewhat socially. ie Nude Rugby match. At the moment a common law mentality "use common sense" exists but introducing another law would definetly invite a real fight from the anti nudity crowd and lots of money for lawyers for those of us that strayed away from the " legally nude" places and need to go to court.This would provide the anti nude crowd just what they want. Inviting a legal definition on location for nude recreation would erode the current freedom that now exists. The introducton of a law which defines a legal nude beach would become an incremental step towards further classification of public nudity and when and where it should exist. The end result would be a large loss of freedom for nudisim and freedom itself.

Harvey
Oct 22, 2011, 11:41:30 PM10/22/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
I was only using Oriental Bay and Takapuna beaches as example where one would less likely to strip off and sunbathe nude.
I think most NZ Beaches you can sunbathe nude but I think using your discreation is what its all about if for example there are a lot of 'textiles' and they may complain, I think its better to perhaps find a quieter spot so one can relax and enjoy the sunshine.
There are a lot of Beaches in NZ that are recognised as nude beaches and these are listed on the FBNZ website.
My local Otatoka Beach is a recognised nude beach but not an Official Nude beach.
Mark

Mark Kennedy

Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 11:26:01 +1300
From: beac...@clear.net.nz